• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

"loan a hare"

What happens at the end of the road when no one needs it and the LFS wont give credit? Does it just starve at that point or is it the original purchasers obligation to house and feed it?

Also what if you borrow it and the person that loaned it is no longer intrested in getting it back? Is the last person stuck with feeding and housing it?

Is the last person stuck with feeding and housing it?
We could call it 'hot potato hare' instead of 'loan a hare'.

Anyways, while logicstics are being discussed, hare is in my tank, it is alive and moves around, not sure if it 'works as expected'. Will try to post pics tonight.

Here is a pic of the hare. I put him on rocks couple times, but find him on the wall. Did not observe him long enougph to tell if he does hair algae.
Any comments from current/past hare owners?

He's pretty - black with blue spots.
seahare.jpg

I had two die on me, long before the starved. First one just didn't make it second one I am not sure what happned to be honest.
They are great eaters. Want another but not sure why others died so not going to do it again at the moment.

I guess he doesn't have much of a brain. He spent severa hours on the glass which I've just cleaned.
Then I picked him up with my hand and put on the 'hairy' rocks, and he started to eat.
I'm anxious to get back home and see if he actually could clean up any area.

I can't confirm with certainity. Today in the morning he was on rocks, there are some clean patches and patches with HA, but he's moving slow and I'm not sure if those clean patches were there. When he's on the glass, you can see (from the other side) what is he doing, but on the rocks, can't tell.
He could be slow because he's small, somewhat less than 2 inches. I've read that sea hares could be up to 4".

I never seen a hare that color before. Mine have alway been gray/ tan with spots with blue eyes. Always have been on the large size 4-6in it will take time for "him" to clean up everything. eat.jpg

my update is all of my HA is gone. I had some is spots that I couldnt reach to pick it. Sooo HOT POTATO!!!!!! who wants it need it gone in 3 days max..

Well,
my 'pretty' sea hare is gone (to meet it's maker, who did not make it up to specs). In the morning it was on rocks, apparently feeding, and in the evening it was on the sand , up-side-down (or down-side-up), cleaner shrmps playing with it. It did not show any signs of life/movement, so it is gone.
Therefore I'm interested in the 'working' version. CFM6793 I'll PM you.

We could line up the lessees here.

Have the terms of loan-a-hare been settled? Or 'no rules' ?

I'm looking for 15 bucks. I paid 30 for the hare. (OG2 gives back 15 when you return) Just so everyone "spends" somthing for it. But you get the 15 back when you pass it on. Does that sound ok to everyone?

How big is the beast.. eh Hare? I am considering getting added to the list if it's a smaller one .. the last one I had died with plenty of algae to eat. This time I am looking for only HA clean-up on the smaller tank.

Maybe he ate himself to death?
tank-shot.jpg

The "small hare" didnt make it. The Dwarf hare will release purple dye to repel fish ect. I would stay away from that one. Just my 2 cent. I have the larger hare. Its prob 4-6in. I always had "good luck" with this type of sea hare. No matter what tank size(20gal I had one in) This hare has been in my tank for 5 weeks now. Shluzer is picking up the hare today.

Duijver... As all inverts they can't take high nitrates.

It's quite possible that I have a nitrate problem as I have not tested, but I have some inverts in that nightmare of a tank. That shot is from my abandoned tank, as the battle is lost, as I prep the 15g to move most things over. The water is clear once you get past the glass algae.

The 15G has been going strong for about 2 years with no algae and then I left the filter media (HOB) in place for about a month or two and HA started. There are no fish, inverts, other than pods/am's/brittle stars, and only softies so I have never fed the tank. I'm guessing the sand bed is going causing a bloom.

Old hare is no more! He has ceased to be, expired and gone to meet its maker.
Can't tell what's wrong with it.
Either he's stunned, or pining for the fjords.
P1040555deadseahare.jpg

Last edited: