• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

"loan a hare"

New guy (thanks Chris) started to eat right away. He's big, for reference pvc pipe in picture is 3/4".
P1040584.jpg

[video]http://s1044.photobucket.com/albums/b449/Shluzer/sea hare/?action=view&current=00002.mp4[/video]
[video]http://s1044.photobucket.com/albums/b449/Shluzer/sea hare/?action=view&current=00000.mp4[/video]

Hare cleaned 'heavy' area about 1 sq foot, where I've placed him yesterday. Now he's on the sand under the rock, moves very slow (about 5 inches in couple hours).
Is he resting after the heavy lunch? I hope he's not pining for the fiords.

That's the same type I had in my tank before moved onto better (?) things. I guess I had the wrong type of algae because there was plenty for him to eat - or maybe he died from munching on caupora because he sampled, not ate, a lot of it.

I didnt' realize it was dead for a few days after .. just because he was so slow moving and hid most of the time. I ended up poking him to see if he was alive and he was a blob of decay. He did not release anything and nothing seemed affected by it..

thanks for stopping by alex. Glad the hare is doing its job in your tank also. Ive seen the hare eat hair, bryopsis even sponges. just let it be. it would burrow into the sand at night to sleep.

duijver i think you are having problems with the hare due to poor water not what it has to eat or ate. also they can be hit or miss I'm 3 for 4 with keeping them alive over the past 2 years. maybe i just have good luck with them.

Last edited:
He's still alive, still chugging along slowly. I guess most of the work is done at night. But there is still lots to do.Yesterday tried to syphon out some HA cause it's getting old and bubbly.

Good to hear that its still alive, Have to remember this is not a fix it will just mask the problem(HA will just grow back) Do some big w/c to knock nite/pos down. keep up with them for a few weeks.

Just wondering if there is an update on the Sea Hare? I've got my HA under control, but sure would like him to clean up what's left.

The Sea Hare is still alive. I do not see him eating much, even though there is a plenty of HA there. It is mostly on the glass. I saw it sticking it's head in the air, put it on the HA, but later saw it on the glass again. Either he's full and not hungry or something is wrong.
Should Sea Hare ever stop eating, or should he do it all the time ? What about day or night ? May be I got him in the wrong moment?

The Sea Hare is still alive. I do not see him eating much, even though there is a plenty of HA there. It is mostly on the glass. I saw it sticking it's head in the air, put it on the HA, but later saw it on the glass again. Either he's full and not hungry or something is wrong.
Should Sea Hare ever stop eating, or should he do it all the time ? What about day or night ? May be I got him in the wrong moment?

Just let it be it will do his job. hares dont like light (will feed more at night) everything takes a brake at some point. fish stop swimming, snals stop moving. the HA didnt grow over night dont think it will be gone overnight. sit back and relax :D

Just let it be it will do his job. hares dont like light (will feed more at night) everything takes a brake at some point. fish stop swimming, snals stop moving. the HA didnt grow over night dont think it will be gone overnight. sit back and relax :D

Today in the morning he was in the corner, I picked him and put on the rock covered with HA. In evening he was in the same spot, ears not expanded as normal, blow holes half closed. Now I see 3 asterina stars on him too (eating him?). Looks like the end of loan-a-hare? I'm doing weekly water changes and SPS and fish look OK. Could there be something in the water that would not bother SPS, but sea hare? Should I do a CPR?

Well, sea hare is no more. Not sure what did him in, but my daughter told me 'no more sea hares'. It was still in one piece but when I took it out, it stunk. My HA is going down, mostly because of weekly WC and plucking.

For what it's worth .. your scenario sounds exactly like how mine was about a year ago. He ate for a day or two and then moved around for a few days/week, then finally stuck to a single point all the time after a bit of wandering and he was dead. Since he always stuck in the same spot I figured he was just sleeping and let it go to long..

I might pick up another one at R2R, when I pick-up the inverts, if he has one around. Anyway, after some reading it sounds like H2O2 might be a better solution if applied to the rocks outside of the tank.. but I guess it will take out any good bacteria and critters, so I would rather not go that route.

By the way, my two turbo's, hermit (not sure what type - he's 4 years+ old but small/medium size), or cerith would not touch the HA when attached. They snubbed it instantly.

I picked up a hare tonight from Greg and while it is a bit small.. it's a GREAT HA eater! I guess it was really hungry because it went right to work chomping away and I can see a noticable difference. I did not have the camera with me, but it stood up and literally sucked a huge tree of HA off a rock - it was great!

I just need to remember to vaccum up the poo or it's just going to re cycle.

Cool video attached (underwater shots)

[video=youtube;pC-bosdalzU]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pC-bosdalzU[/video]

Posting some before and after shots. I did not take a real before shot, but the middle rock is the one is it chomping on in the video. It was pretty much full of HA. When I woke up at 7 it was sleeping already and a HUGE pile of poo was in the wake of it's binge. I turned off the power heads last night and gladly sucked up a lot of piles of poo to export out the HA before it all cycled back in.

About an hour after the Hare was added:

4-20-12_1HourOfHARE.jpg

This morning once the lights came on (12:30pm)

4-21-12_12hoursAfterHare.jpg

wow.. that's impressive.. Let me know when he's finished with your's. I'd love to "borrow" him.. Same deal, $15? Just wondering, what did you pay?? I haven't seen one locally.. guess I could check the Hidden Reef?

I picked up a hare tonight from Greg and while it is a bit small.. it's a GREAT HA eater! I guess it was really hungry because it went right to work chomping away and I can see a noticable difference. I did not have the camera with me, but it stood up and literally sucked a huge tree of HA off a rock - it was great!
It looks like you had only 1 day worth of HA. Pass him on before he'd starved.

Yeah, I was surprised how quick he chowed down. There is still a bit left in the tank but it's about 75% gone now. This morning he was GONE completely and I thought he jumped out of the tank... then I stirred some sand around and saw his back.

He dug ALL THE WAY to the bottom of my sand bed (3-4") and went to sleep. I think my cleaning shrimp was really pi$$in him off.

Who's up next? He was only $20, so $10 to the next user. He needs to do a few day clean-up in my other tank, but figure by the middle of the week (wed/thurs) he will need suplimental feeding if I don't find him a new home.

I'm in the Middletown, NJ area (07748). Worst case, I will bring him back to Greg, but my wife is already not happy with the idea of getting rid of it. ha ha she feel that it is inhumane passing it around.. I tried to explain the food situtation, but she did not want to hear it.