• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

New to this

Design Flaw
There are several mistakes here so if your following and wish to comment about better ways to execute this. Believe me I get it. “Terrible job” comment away. It will only give me ideas for future builds. (And there WILL be future builds)
Problem one is I used street 90s coming out of the upper sump. I found this impossible to snake or fish out the pipe when it got inadvertently clogged DEB76666-76C1-4F26-A639-A7E1E886067E.jpeg
This is a street 90. Notice there is no sweep to the pipe just a hard flat 90. Nothing I had could make that turn.

To repair that little gem. I replaced them with T-fittings. So basically they now have clean outs
EF400916-53F4-41DF-9948-0E57F88A31CF.jpeg
yea yea I am aware. That’s some real messy work. But you try getting back there while laying on a 40 breeder in 3 foot box with six inches of space a flashlight in your mouth and kidneys falling out hahahaha. But seriously what a difference. Improved flow and easy to clean. Sure there is a better way but definitely and improvement

Trio91

Administrator
Staff member
Design Flaw
There are several mistakes here so if your following and wish to comment about better ways to execute this. Believe me I get it. “Terrible job” comment away. It will only give me ideas for future builds. (And there WILL be future builds)
Problem one is I used street 90s coming out of the upper sump. I found this impossible to snake or fish out the pipe when it got inadvertently clogged View attachment 27064
This is a street 90. Notice there is no sweep to the pipe just a hard flat 90. Nothing I had could make that turn.
So how did you get it out? Cut it?

Ok. So that was minor and fixable the next problem was the entire system is hard pipes. But I wanted to use some flex tube as you see in pics. I always do this when connecting to glass so as to reduce the chance of cracking do to vibration. That’s sound advice and works well. The problem I had is I could not find a flex pipe that fit the one inch fittings because my stubborn head figured I had to use nipples to connect the tube. The thing is... a one inch pipe Nipple reduces to 3/4 to go inside the 1” tube. Ahhhhh BIG FLAW. Real BIG.
899D3737-4A7D-40FC-A4FF-6367EFEDD62E.jpeg
this is a one inch nipple or insert that goes from one inch PVC to flex. Notice the reduction in diameter to go IN the flex that’s real bad

Ok. So that was minor and fixable the next problem was the entire system is hard pipes. But I wanted to use some flex tube as you see in pics. I always do this when connecting to glass so as to reduce the chance of cracking do to vibration. That’s sound advice and works well. The problem I had is I could not find a flex pipe that fit the one inch fittings because my stubborn head figured I
So how did you get it out? Cut it?
well that’s the one thing I did do right. Although there are many tanks plumbed to together. They arnt in series. There are many pipes (check earlier build page way above if curious) so I was able to isolate the main tank for two days and turn off rest of system where then proceeded to cut out plumbing remove sump and start the replumb. Yes that sucked.

Now the next big flaw
As stated earlier. The space I have to work is very very tight. I mean very close to impossible and very frustrating. I didn’t find this next problem until I cut the mess out. But apparently while working blind back there on the original build I did a very poor connection of the lower nipple. Hears a pic of what it looked like. Yes now one of my 1” drains was reduced to 3/4 and now further reduced to a slightly folded tube bad bad bad DE600224-50B4-4453-8C74-E1047AEB840F.jpeg

Ok. Now the final FIX.
I found a 1-1/4 flex pipe that fits exactly over the 1” PVC. And simply bypassed them and got rid of the nipples completely
This is what the pipes look like in comparison
7E58A466-A3E5-466B-B343-0231ECA1D064.jpeg
sooo went from crimped 3/4 to full 1 inch at my tightest spots on drain lines. In my head the math doesn’t work. But I can say that I have nearly doubled the flow in the main tank and my drains are now quiet. Lot of work but well worth the effort.

Well that’s about it. Hopefully my mistakes will fuel your success. In summery. Add clean outs where possible. It will make your life easier. And whenever possible. Install larger drains where you can. You can always adjust flow with valves. And above all. If possible. Whenever designing a set up. Try to place it in away that you have as much access to all plumbing as possible. It’s a real tuff deal that can squash your love for the hobby if it is difficult to service.

How come you went with vinyl tubing instead of flexible PVC? You wouldnt need the hose clamps and everything would of glued together and still had some flex.

Last edited:
How come you went with vinyl tubing instead of flexible PVC? You wouldnt need the hose clamps and everything would of glued together and still had some flex.
Simplest answer in the world. Home Depot baby. Lol. Seriously used what fit. And was right size. Not sure where even to find flexible PVC. But if it’s any consolation. The nylon vinyl fit so well I had to boil the ends to get them on. They WILL NOT LEAK LOL. (Famous last words)