• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Oil Spill in the Gulf of Mexico

magic

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
That sucks! Initially they stated that there was no oil leaking.

Bob

The_Codfather

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
The Exxon Valdez oil spill March 24, 1989 and it still has a environmental impact.. I wonder what this one will do and for how long :'(

40,000 gallons a day, and they said they may need to drill another well near it to stop it. Usually cannot be done in under 2 months. AWESOME!! ::) I wonder how much theyll fine the oil company, better be in the 10's of millions.

A while back someone posted a link about how the ornamental hobby was taking away resources -e.g. the peppermint shrimp in the atlantic.

Anyone ever wonder what an oil slick might do to that phytoplankton that floats on the surface with the current. A 100 mile layer of oil would essentially make that plankton nutritionless as it is unable to generate energy from photosynthesis. Fish/Invert fry that consume phyto would be weakened by this worthless meal and so on. We probably won't see the impact of this massive oil slick for years to come.

How does a sea turtle, dolphin surface to breath in the middle of an oil slick? Would it coat them?

Man you'd think that at a stock price of (pre spill) of $58 - with over 3 billion shares, a single DIME per share spent to PREVENT these kinds of accidents would have been money well spent - not to mention the 13 lost workers.

Not to pour salt on the wound, but according to the radio today, the extent of the rate and the liability has been underestimated. They confirmed 200,000 per day according to this report. If this does not spur minds to place more effort and legislators to be more investment minded in alternate fuel, what will? At least Cheney's nest egg is well padded and his summer homes are paid off.

Phyl

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
They said today on NPR that BP felt so secure in their "safety mechanisms" that they didn't insure the rig. Anything that is spent to clean this up will all (most) come out of their pocket.

Unless, of course, we bail them out...

magic

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Phyl said:
They said today on NPR that BP felt so secure in their "safety mechanisms" that they didn't insure the rig. Anything that is spent to clean this up will all (most) come out of their pocket.

Unless, of course, we bail them out...
Indirectly OUR pockets . :-\

The_Codfather

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
I was talking to my wife about this tonight and thought why don't each Rig has some kinda floating barrier that could be added too when needed around it maybe half a mile across before this kinda thing happens in the first place.. at least that way it would be contained right away and pump it out to tankers but they just want to burn it now.. I guess slogan "drill baby drill" should be burn baby burn now ::) :mad:

Even if they have to pay for it, all they have to do is raise their prices a few cents a gallon and they'll make it right back. There is no fighting or winning with an oil company. They can and will do whatever they want, and it will always be their way

Drill baby drill! Coming soon to most of the Eastern Seaboard!  :p
Hey, what happened all those TV adds with that gal talking about how offshore drilling is so safe now, and helps America achieve energey independence? They pulled those ads off pretty quick!

Petroleum flavored shrimp cocktail, anyone?

MadReefer

Staff member
NJRC Member
BP supposedly sent a robot down to do something to stop the leak but guess what? They were unable to do it for some reason.

Phyl

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
The robot was injecting fluid into the shut off valves to try to trigger the shut off reaction, but the pressure was too great and it couldn't trigger them. There were 3 backups to the shut off sensor and ONE of them should have worked. Talk about many things playing into the disaster.

But like Jim said....even after a disaster like this....they are still going to drill up and down the Eastern Seaboard!! And more than likely in Alaska too!!

No matter how diligent we are accidents will happen! That's going to happen on the Jersey shore as well if they start drilling.

I saw some clown talking about the drilling in Santa Barbara; he said wouldn't the people in NJ love to have there home value as expensive as Santa Barbara.

What a stupid thing to say. The Jersey shore housing is just as expensive and in some cases more. I guess he never heard of Mantoloking, Bay Head, Spring Lake and Deal to name a few.

Anyway just another example of some fat cat talking about something he knows nothing about.

I live at the Jersey shore and I am apposed to drilling here. We already have a bad name as a dirty state and this fool thinks its going to help...

rodclement

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Now there is talk on the news about sabotage...what are we getting to in the world when someone would sink a plant, kill people, and destroy the environment just to make a point against offshore drilling?

I hope this proves not to be the case, I like o think humans are basically good...very sad...

rod

rodclement said:
Now there is talk on the news about sabotage...what are we getting to in the world when someone would sink a plant, kill people, and destroy the environment just to make a point against offshore drilling?

I hope this proves not to be the case, I like o think humans are basically good...very sad...

rod

Very sad indeed Rod. I actually thought about this the other day but didnt think of it in your point of view. I thought about it being an action from a foriegn country that relies on the USA to purchase fuel from them.