• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Start of my Oceanic 215 build

Phyl

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
I can't imagine having to mod a brand new sump. That must have been nerve racking. Sorry.

The setup looks great though. Good luck with the water test.

And the saga continues. Well i finally finished plumbing my tank and i filled it with water, no major leaks to report which is good. One of the return lines has a small leak that i think is at the bulkhead. I think tightening the seal more should do it i hope. if not i will have to redo the line.

But i have a larger issue. do to the sucky design of my sump, i have to throttle my return pump down by 50%. the last baffle in the return chamber is 2" lower then the rest (I have no clue why they design it like this) and when my pump is open all the way it drains the chamber and sucks air, so i have to keep the return line closed at least 50%. i'm so pissed. If i would have know that the sump couldn't handle 1200-1400 GPH i would have purchased a smaller pump like the 55D and saved some money. It's a waste to have such a nice pump throttled down. But i guess i have to accept it or sell my new pump and get a smaller one. It's a shame i'm amazed at how quiet the blueline 70D is, you can barely hear it when its on. I will post pics tomorrow. hopefully i can fix the leak and start placing my rock in there tomorrow.

Harry

Harry, sometimes the bulkhead being too tight causes the leaks.

The bulk head should be put on by hand and then tightened with the tool only a half turn.

I think your problem is only that the bulk head is not centered. Loosen it, center it, and then srew it back on.

MikeNapoli said:
Harry, sometimes the bulkhead being too tight causes the leaks.

The bulk head should be put on by hand and then tightened with the tool only a half turn.

I think your problem is only that the bulk head is not centered. Loosen it, center it, and then srew it back on.

It is centered, i made sure not to over tighten it. I was very careful when i put them in.

Harry

well leaks aside and much frustration with my cursed sump, i decided to sell my pump and get a smaller one. I've come to the realization that the return chamber on my sump is too small for the blueline 70HD. back to the drawing board. It looks like i'm gonna go with the 55HD instead.

Thanks
Harry

JohnS_323

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Good luck selling the other pump. I know this sounds weak right now but just remember, at some point you're gonna get it all worked out and finally be happy with the results. I know how much it sux to be in the middle of it when it's happening, though.

yea i know but most of it could have been avoided. But now i learned my lesson and i will not make the same mistake again

Well after downsizing to a blueline 55HD, i re-did all the plumbing on my tank with no leaks so far. I added the rock and sand and will be adding fish next weekend after i am sure all the readings are zero. I decided to go with a 2 island design and left plenty of room for fish to move around in. I didn't want to overload the live rock. there is about 300lbs of rock in there so it might be a little deceiving, and not look like i have enough. Working with the large center brace wasn't as big of a pain as i thought it would be. It took me hours just to landscape i must have rearranged the rock 50 times until i liked it. pics are below, but im not the best photographer so bare with me

Full tank shot
IMG_1682.jpg

close up of right side rock work
IMG_1676.jpg

close up of left side rockwork
IMG_1677.jpg

more updates to come as i progress
Thanks
Harry

malulu

NJRC Member
Harry,

rock work looks good...

just 2 notes:
- you can try to free up some holes in the rock work, fishes like to hide inside at night.

- make sure rock first, then sand, otherwise, over time, when the creatures move around the sands, the rocks would de-form, and may crash down... (i did not know that at that time, so i end up with redo everything later on...)

- here is the pic of my tank before i re-do them.
332_09_06_07_9_13_19.jpg

- here is the new pic of my tank AFTER i re-do them, i can't make them back to the old looks!!
332_15_06_08_10_54_41.jpg

David,

The rock is on the glass bottom, i added the sand after the rock. Also there are plenty of spaces and caves for the fish to hide in. I will try and get some close up pics later to show more detail

thanks
Harry

I must have missed this earlier in the thread - but when did you get the LR and if you don't mind me asking -from where? (I'm still doing my shopping).

thanks david (and sorry harryk for the hijack) - but I'm totally in "compare" mode right now. equipment purchases (tank, pumps, skimmer, reactors) etc. are the order of the day. Eventually I'll get LR - probably from Marco or maybe Dr. Mac - but I'm just lurking the forum and seeing what other people are getting and why. Therefore purchasing LR from a tank breakdown is definitely not on my to-do. Thanks!

malulu

NJRC Member
phil519 said:
thanks david (and sorry harryk for the hijack) - but I'm totally in "compare" mode right now. equipment purchases (tank, pumps, skimmer, reactors) etc. are the order of the day. Eventually I'll get LR - probably from Marco or maybe Dr. Mac - but I'm just lurking the forum and seeing what other people are getting and why. Therefore purchasing LR from a tank breakdown is definitely not on my to-do. Thanks!

Harry, sorry for hijack...

Charlie's tank is in excellent condition... he need to sell it because he is moving...

No worries on the hijack. I bought most of my rock from seatrademarine.com. He's in medford NJ. The rock on the right which looks white is Tonga fusion. it's awesome. If i had to do it all over again i would only use that type.

Harry

thanks harry - I like your aquascape btw...

the middle section of your sump - are you saving that for a refugium?