• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Start of my Oceanic 215 build

phil519 said:
thanks harry - I like your aquascape btw...

the middle section of your sump - are you saving that for a refugium?

thanks, yes the middle section will be a refugium. Hopefully by the end of the weekend i will have fish in the tank as long as all my parameters are 0

Harry

harryk said:
thanks, yes the middle section will be a refugium. Hopefully by the end of the weekend i will have fish in the tank as long as all my parameters are 0

Harry

nice.

Are you thinking of chaeto? or maybe something more exotic like mangroves? or a mix? Have you decided whether you will have a sandbed in the fug section or not?

I will probably be using some garf grunge, on the sump bottom for some added biodiversity and mainly i will be using Chaeto because it is easy to control and won't go sexual like most of the other macro algae.

I tested my water tonite and my Ammonia reading was 0. I will be adding fish either tomorrow or Saturday. I can wait. pics to follow

Harry

danthemanj

FRAG SWAP VENDOR
Harry,

Just a word of caution on the sump. It looked like 1/4" acrylic to me from the pic. Without any top bracing on the acrylic, due to the bowing of the acrylic with water, the joints might eventually craze over time, which could lead to leaks.

Dan

danthemanj said:
Harry,

Just a word of caution on the sump. It looked like 1/4" acrylic to me from the pic. Without any top bracing on the acrylic, due to the bowing of the acrylic with water, the joints might eventually craze over time, which could lead to leaks.

Dan

It's 3/8" not 1/4" acrylic and 2 of the baffles go all the way to the top for support, i had the same concerns. At this point my sump builder is out of business (AFY). If there is an issue i'm screwed, but I dont anticipate one

Harry

blange3 said:
Looks good Harry.

I like the islands. I'm planning on islands in my 180 as well.

I thought it kinda broke up the tank in a way and i like the way that it looks. Good luck with your 180

Harry

Well my fish went into their new home on Saturday and all is well. Below are some quick pics that i took. both my batteries were dead or i would have taken better pics. As soon as they are charged i'll post some better pics.

Flame angel, my favorite fish, i know they get a bad rap sometimes but mine has been a model citizen to date
IMG_1683.jpg

My funny little clowns, i used to have 4 but one of my black and white ones died hosting a powerhead
IMG_1684.jpg

My Tomini tang, nice little tang, not very agressive at all, he gets along well with my pacific sailfin.
IMG_1686.jpg

More pics to come soon

Thanks
Harry

...would it be ok to ask you what your "to-buy" list might be?

Sorry if I'm being nosy. I am (as always) curious about everyone's set up and why.

Oh - and are you QT'ing these fish (beautiful choices btw) before introducing? Not sure if I missed that earlier in the thread.

Thanks!

phil519 said:
...would it be ok to ask you what your "to-buy" list might be?

Sorry if I'm being nosy. I am (as always) curious about everyone's set up and why.

Oh - and are you QT'ing these fish (beautiful choices btw) before introducing? Not sure if I missed that earlier in the thread.

Thanks!

The fish in the pics were one's i already had, they are not new and I QT all new fish that i get, just my preference. My wish list is below and i will be adding to it as my tank will evolve.

3 Bimaculatis Anthias or Red stripe anthias
1 Copperband Butterfly - has to be eating before purchasing
1 Regal Angel - has to be eating before purchasing and If not a regal then a pair of Bellas Angels
1 Midas or Stigmata blenny
1 Mandarin goby

and maybe 1-3 smaller fish, but i dont not want to overload my tank

Harry

I actually stopped in AO today and picked up 1 male lyretail anthias and 2 female lyretails all MAC certified. They're being acclimated and will reside in my backup tank for 4-6 weeks and then into my display. I'm still going to be adding the bimacs though. I think the males are awesome colored

Harry

nice...pics would be nice! ;)

the fire shrimp - does he hide in that crevice mostly? is it ever out and about like in your avatar?

phil519 said:
nice...pics would be nice! ;)

the fire shrimp - does he hide in that crevice mostly? is it ever out and about like in your avatar?

The anthias are in my QT and will stay there for about 4-6 weeks I'll try and take pics soon. I have 2 fire shrimp and they basically hang in the crevices and caves until food is introduced into the tank and then they bolt out scavenging for food

Harry

Well the sucky part of setting up a new tank is occuring....The dreaded diatom algae invasion has started. Hopefully it won't be too bad and they won't last too long, it's all part of the fun. I guess it's time to add the snails and let them do their job. This is really one of the parts I really hate and next will be the hair algae invasion. yea for me.

Harry

Phyl

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Get a good bunch of snails and you may well avoid the HA invasion. Good luck with it!

Phyl said:
Get a good bunch of snails and you may well avoid the HA invasion. Good luck with it!

I do have a bunch of large mexican turbos that did a great job the last time i had hair algae.

thanks
Harry