• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Tank birthday and I'm a Geezer

Paul B

NJRC Member
OOOooooo HHhhhh NNnnooooooo. FLOOD!!!

I hate when that happens and unfortunately it is always my fault. :oops:

I replaced a defective light yesterday and I have a "baffle" or vertical piece of PVC that runs the 6' length of the back of the tank to help keep the fish from jumping out.

I must have moved that PVC onto the float that controls the water going into the tank so it overflowed. I lost about 15 or 20 gallons. Well, I didn't lose it as I know exactly where it is. All over my workshop floor. :oops:

I don't care about the floor but fresh water kept going into the tank so the salinity was so low that I could keep bullfrogs, alligators and kissing gouramies.

My fish are not Girly fish so they don't care and could live in damp sawdust and my corals are also not Sissies so I don't think anything will happen but it may put them in a bad mood for a few hours.

The salinity doesn't even read on my hydrometer.

I have 30 gallons of seawater here that I collected but I needed to raise the salinity in that so I had to run to Petco to buy ASW. I got Instant Ocean and dumped in a few pounds to my NSW. I removed 10 gallons of water from my tank and am slowly pumping in my strong solution of seawater.

I will keep doing that until the salinity is strong enough to keep wild Tuna.

It will take a few more pounds of ASW but I will get there in about an hour or two. :)

Paul B

NJRC Member
Good morning Diana. I don't know yet as I haven't gone downstairs yet but if the tank crashed I will have to get a new hobby. Maybe seeing how long I could stare at my feet or watching Nancy Pelosi chewing on here teeth, :rolleyes:

I think they will be fine and if they are, I will add some more salt. :)

myrjon

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Hope the tank is better.... I stinks like tuna when there is water on the floor.

Paul B

NJRC Member
My tank is fine and I feel my corals enjoyed the freshwater bath. :p
I noticed my Gyre powerhead was not working and I discovered that it's controller sat in a puddle of salt water and electronics frown on that. It was kind of smoking and sizzling so I dried it out and found out the plug rotted right off th thing.
I had to break it apart and do a little soldering to repair and re build it but now it is as good as new. I will put it in a metal box in case it wants to go on fire. :rolleyes:

Paul B

NJRC Member
I am going to get my wife one of these. She has an electric scooter and a walker but this thing will give her more mobility and it folds up with one hand to put in the car.

Zinger.jpg

It is supposed to go 8 miles at about 6 mph. It will be good for functions or just getting to the condo pool.

Paul B

NJRC Member
On my walk this morning I caught something moving in the corner of my eye. I looked and in horror saw this "Huge" Cobra!
Snake.jpg

OK, it was a little garter snake but he thought he was a Huge Cobra by the way he was snapping at me with that practically toothless grimace. :D

diana a

Staff member
NJRC Member
That is one cool looking electric scooter. I haven't seen one in person before.

That is a big garden snake

Paul B

NJRC Member
I have been seeing this Supermodel lately. Beautiful girl who I have seen 4 or 5 times and she is always wearing this same outfit.
It looks like a short white bathing suit cover up and it looks like she has baggy white short shorts under it. My wife says they are Baby Dolls.

She walks very slow and all the times I saw her she was talking on her phone and looking down. I never saw her off the phone which is on speaker.

Yesterday we went to our condo pool and she was slowly walking around the pool. This was about 7:00 Pm and no one was there. She never came up for air and if someone was on the other end of the phone, they never got a word in as she never stops talking.
After we left, she was there all by herself still talking. I would like to know what battery she has on that phone. :oops:

Paul B

NJRC Member
I remember being quite cold many times but once in particular sticks in my mind. It was 1970 and I was a Sargent in the Army in Colorado before I went to Nam. I did my jungle training in Colorado in the winter and in Colorado if it doesn't snow at least 5' deep, they don't even notice it or take out a snow shovel.

We were doing war games which is totally stupid. I had to ride in a small "roofless" Jeep across these plains which stretch almost to Vermont with this skinny second Lieutenant who was not to bright.

We had to lay out this COMMO wire for a few miles by ourselves. We started out and the wire was going out the back. It was snowing. And snowing, and snowing. Eventually it was a foot deep and we didn't know where we were or why we were there.

Remember this is decades before cell phones or even credit cards. We didn't even have a working radio or a pen to write a post card.

Now we were covered in about 18" of snow and it was cold. The Army "Cold Weather Gear" at the time was about as good as Lycra that Nadia Cominich wore on her Olympic trials.

I was shivering, scared and disgusted. The snow was getting deeper. :(
The LT. tells me he is going to climb on top of a hill and see if he can tell where we are.

I said, "Good Idea because we are going to die"

So he gets out and leaves me there. Now it is getting dark and the snow is picking up as is the wind. :cold:

After a few minutes I hear: "HHHHhhhhhhhhooooWWWWWWWlllllllllll". :confused2:

I am a New York City boy and the only thing we have in New York that howls are rats and roaches.

I must have been thinking "Big Foot", wolf, or the very strong Russian Cossack girl I was dating.

The Lt. is no where to be seen. I yelled for him but it was drowned out by:

"HHHHhhhhhhhhhhhoooooooWWWWWWWWlllll. HHHHHHhhhhhhooooooWWWWWllllll." :eek2:

And, It, or THEM was getting closer. HHHHHHHHHhhhhhhhoooooWWWWWllll. :culpability:
Then CLOSER.

I remembered, I have a weapon. An M-16. Yeah. But wait, I idon't have any bullets. I was praying for at least one bullet so I could blow my brains out before whatever it was that was going to kill and eat me any second and wouldn't have the satisfaction of hearing me scream. Or cry, maybe wimper. OK beg for my life.

I got out of the Jeep and climbed on the hood. Now I am at least two feet off the ground and we all know that Big Foot and wolves can't climb that high.

I held my rifle by the barrel and was ready to smash the first thing that came close.
My visibility was very limited by the snow so I waited until I could smell freshly killed accountant on his breath and I would strike. The cold was completely through the Lycra thin clothing I was wearing.

Suddenly and without warning, I HEAR:.....................................................
"Sargent Baldassino What are you doing?"

So we were lost and I had to walk in front of the Jeep a couple of miles while picking up the wire until we found our way back. :dance:

I

Paul B

NJRC Member
Yesterday I had to bring my wife to her Dr. and I went to the LFS there. There must be a big influx of copperbands and hippo tangs because the store, and another one 5 miles away were full of the things. Each store had dozens of each of those fish.

I already have a hippo but want to replace my copperband that a yellow tang killed that my "friend" gave me that I didn't want and it was to big not to mention I don't like yellow tangs and that one was huge and looked horrible.

Each store had many copperbands and they were cheap but they were all larger than I wanted. But they had one smaller one that was perfect.
Almost..........

The poor fish, besides ich that doesn't mean anything had a bunch of fungus growths (I forgot what they are called) on a few parts of him. Besides that the fish was fine.

I had no place to put him to eliminate the growths and he may have gotten worse in my reef so I didn't take him.
But I did get a large, very colorful anemone hermit crab and a leather coral.

Leathers live and grow very well in my tank and now that I have enormous growths of sponge, I can't really put many hard corals because when I cut the sponge, like I did yesterday, the white toxins ooze out and kill any SPS almost instantly.

My many duncans don't seem to mind and even like the stuff as do my gorgonians and leathers so I will focus on those.

In the many years this tank has survived it has gone through many cycles and this is just one of them. It was all SPS, leathers, gorgonians, LPS and everything else. Now it's sponge cycle time which is fine. Just another interesting thing in my long life. :p

diana a

Staff member
NJRC Member
I am sorry the lose of your boat but it gets to experience different adventures and you don’t have the difficulty of trying to fix the problems it develops due the boats age. Aging suck but it’s better then the alternative

Paul B

NJRC Member
Thank you Diana. WE have a large group of friends here and a huge pool 13' deep which we didn't have in our last home so we will still be occupied quite a bit. :)

We also have pool parties all the time so I hope I don't miss it to much.