• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

The 210 tank build

Tommyboynj

Administrator
Officer Emeritus
Just finished the entire thread. Impressive set up guys. Love your fish choices. No shortage of wrasses!

Sunny

NJRC Member
Article Contributor
OK. So I have been reading the discussion on wrasses here. I read and decided not to comment. Read again and held back again.
Oh well!. Here I go again. Can't resist to comment ;)

I have had a pair or Lineatus and Rhomboid together for a long time ( 1 year plus). If you consider it a long time :p.
Yes, Lineatus are aggressive but, the key is to keep them in check. So have a wrasse to keep Lineatus in check who is not going to kill.
For me it was the Scott's from cooks island. I am saying specifically from cooks. I have had fiji and Aussie as well. However, fiji are weak and mostly don't make it past a few days and Aussie are pretty but aggressive.

Cook's island are ideal. Still have one. Still have Lineatus pair and the female rhomboid. The a**h**e crab ate the Rhomboid male :(.

Just my experience, HIH.

Sunny

Ahh im so excited to pick up a gold assessor basslet because of you guys! Ive been leery of getting another fish ever since my watchman and one of my banggaii cardinals disappeared.

Your thread is not only impressive but s great resource tool too !

mnat

Officer Emeritus
Staff member
Couple of new pics of some of the new additions. Thank you all for the suggestions, we are at this point going to stick with the small fish stocking plan as we are comfortable with it. I have some calls out right now for some really cool fish that we will update on in the next few weeks.

We spend 2.5 hours on Sunday in the frag tank, scrubbing and cleaning everything. It generally is quicker than that but we have been lax. So far so good and I am going to go down stairs in a little while and snap some pics down there. Shooting under the t5s is a little tougher with the while balance so hopefully I will get some pics.

Some fish shots:
The Hawaiin long fins:
DSC_4242_zps79394ec8.jpg

DSC_4264_zps893c91ce.jpg

Attenuatus:
DSC_4267_zpsd2f0796b.jpg

Picked up 6 of these guys:
DSC_4281_zps0e018f0f.jpg

Flames:
DSC_4285_zps5cde5666.jpg

DSC_4295_zps82202959.jpg

DSC_4296_zpsb12cce76.jpg

Earle's female which I think may be turning to male, going to have to get some a true ID.
DSC_4319_zpsbba82fec.jpg

The big borb:
DSC_4322_zpsecc61097.jpg

Helfrichi posing:
DSC_4369_zps3ef3f237.jpg

mnat

Officer Emeritus
Staff member
Never could get a good picture of our clowns, they decided to play nice the other night so here we go:
DSC_4343_zpscba25117.jpg

DSC_4341_zps607d5d50.jpg

DSC_4337_zps99a32895.jpg

Our magnificent pair doing what they do:
DSC_4362_zps4a70cf88.jpg

The right side of our tank with the hustle and bustle of a bunch of small fish, just the way we like it and more "reef" like, I can count 17
DSC_4346_zpsa96edd3f.jpg

Tommyboynj

Administrator
Officer Emeritus
Love all that branch rock. Definitely goung to use sone of that in my next build. Gives the tank and extra dimension

Sent from my SCH-I535

You guys really take some nice pictures. Over the past week or two I've broken out my Nikon D70 and really have gotten an appreciation on how tough it is to photograph an aquarium. Getting the white balance right is especially tricky. I finally figured out that I could place a white object in the tank and do a custom setting off of it. That at least got it a little closer.

mnat

Officer Emeritus
Staff member
I have an old pic of the sanded of like our 45g cube saved as my auto white balance. I really need to learn a little photoshop. These are all unedited directly from the camera to the computer. After seeing that guys shots, I may have to get some extension tubes myself.

ecam

President
Staff member
Board of Directors
NJRC Member
Awesome thanks guys... What kind of clowns are those? They look awesome

mnat

Officer Emeritus
Staff member
The gobies are magnificent gobies, they have been spawning for us which is awesome.

The clowns: female is an Ora grade b Picasso and the male is a snowflake. They have yet to spawn for us but we are hoping soon. The female has been with us for years the male is a little newer.

mnat

Officer Emeritus
Staff member
Yes in groups. Of course they scattered when I tried to take a picture. We have yet to have a true "schooling" behavior but I have read a lot of that has to do with food availability.

The majority of the group of assesors is new, Mike bought 6 of them for me for our 4th anniversary. We had two already, one of which we bought the week before we got married, at MACNA in 2009. The 8th fish (the other vibrant one) has been with us for about 6 months. I have noticed that assessor basslets color will change over time- as they mature, they have gotten much more colorful. I am excited to see what this bunch looks like when they grow up, and I am hoping for at least one true pair.

They were one of the reasons that we made the decision to go back to being small fish people- I was getting very sad about my small fish/dream fish not thriving in our tank, and a big part of the change in the dynamics in the tank (removing several wrasses) was related to their welfare. Most people get a big tank and add big fish, but most of my favorites are small fish, and that has not changed. Our lg wrasses dominated my helfrichis, my gobies were not out as much, and my more delicate anthias did not thrive. Now that we have removed the lg wrasses, the small fish are out more and as a result eating more.

When we set up the tank, we did not know a ton about keeping small fish together with large fish in a community tank. About 2/3 of our tank's inhabitants are under 2". Having kept the 205 for a year, we have now learned that some small fish on my dream list will not thrive if they have large tankmates, and others will outright hide until they starve to death in our system.

Given how hard some of these fish are to find and acclimate to captivity, and how bad I feel when we lose a fish, we don't plan on adding any more large fish in the future.

I know there are not many people who would agree with my stocking plan, but for me my "dream" tank is one that has lots of pairs and groups of small fish, and I'm lucky enough to have a husband who will indulge me and a fish store that was kind enough to take our naughty wrasses and put them in their display so that I can visit them :)

I think you are selling your plan short Nikki, my guess is most of us love the idea. I think we all have fish that we like, I for one love to see what other people have and am happy if they have different fish.

I'm another that is focused on smaller fish and more of them, I don't want giant fish squeezed into my glass box, it takes away from the intricacies of the reef behind them. Many small fish, swimming in and out and around crevices in the rockwork, hanging out in caves and tunnels, is much more enjoyable to me. The same as having hundreds of different exotic frags of zoas and palys rather than 3-4 giant colonies.

Tommyboynj

Administrator
Officer Emeritus
I'm with you guys. I love smaller fish. I feel that in the smaller tanks they afford you more variety and in the larhee tanks you can really simulate the natural environment better by having them in larher groups.

Sent from my SCH-I535

The pictures are nice but it does not compare to seeing it in person. I have to say the magnificent gobies do look amazing when their fins are out in display mode...and that's coming from a reefer who likes corals over fish!