• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Welcome To NJRC! Take a minute to introduce yourself

Hi, compared to most of you, I’m fairly new to reefing and fish keeping. I’m a native Reefer, living in Nj my whole life (17 years), and I’ve been in the hobby for 3 years. I started with a 1g beta tank (I feel bad for betas in these tanks now that I understand the hobby more), then a 3g planted tank, then a 35g goldfish tank, which is now a community tank. After a year of keeping freshwater, I moved to saltwater, jumping strait into reefs, with a Fluval Flex 32.5g. Not surprisingly, I jumped the gun and the tank went south after a year. However, I like to look at it as a very expensive learning experience. I took all the research I did in the past two years, applied it to my thoughts, and now I have that same tank, but redone, so it’s like a fresh start. These type of aquarium communities helped me out a lot, yet I never knew there was one for Nj residents. When I saw this website, I was ecstatic!

MadReefer

Staff member
NJRC Member
Hi, compared to most of you, I’m fairly new to reefing and fish keeping. I’m a native Reefer, living in Nj my whole life (17 years), and I’ve been in the hobby for 3 years. I started with a 1g beta tank (I feel bad for betas in these tanks now that I understand the hobby more), then a 3g planted tank, then a 35g goldfish tank, which is now a community tank. After a year of keeping freshwater, I moved to saltwater, jumping strait into reefs, with a Fluval Flex 32.5g. Not surprisingly, I jumped the gun and the tank went south after a year. However, I like to look at it as a very expensive learning experience. I took all the research I did in the past two years, applied it to my thoughts, and now I have that same tank, but redone, so it’s like a fresh start. These type of aquarium communities helped me out a lot, yet I never knew there was one for Nj residents. When I saw this website, I was ecstatic!
Welcome to the club. What part of NJ you from?

DYIguy

NJRC Member
Welcome aboard, I got back in 3 years ago and I'm still a beginner and learning stuff all the time. Made my share of mistakes- most of us do. No attitudes here, just good vibes/ shared experiences, good advice and cheap/free stuff along with making some new friends- I've made a few. If you can, you should try to make the get together at @MadReefer this week

MadReefer

Staff member
NJRC Member
Welcome aboard, I got back in 3 years ago and I'm still a beginner and learning stuff all the time. Made my share of mistakes- most of us do. No attitudes here, just good vibes/ shared experiences, good advice and cheap/free stuff along with making some new friends- I've made a few. If you can, you should try to make the get together at @MadReefer this week
Next weekend Oct 15

I looked into going, but I am busy all weekend. I will definately do my best however to make it to an event.

DEL

Vice President
Staff member
Board of Directors
NJRC Member
welcome !! I'm 20+ years in and STILL LEARNING. there will always be new advances in research

welcome !! I'm 20+ years in and STILL LEARNING. there will always be new advances in research
20+ years! That is amazing! That's longer than I have been alive, and even though there is more to learn, you must have a lot of experience under your belt.

diana a

Staff member
NJRC Member
I have two sons attending Rowan U and one over at University of Delware (plus another one at Monmouth U)

I am Sam. I’m a 14 year old reefer. I want to be a marine biologist when I grow up.

Current tanks:

200 gallon sps dominant reef

30 gallon seahorse, soft corals reef

50 gallon IM Lagoon with mangroves and sps

Rubbermaid stock tank reef tank

I need some advice for a science fair project for honors biology. I would like to do something regarding the hobby, I was thinking either like testing and observing growth and development of shark embryo, and hatching and raising a pup, or like something about seeing if the age of a non reef safe fish, and having them grow up in a reef tank will influence their behavior. Let me know if you have any ideas!

Instagram: futureaquarist

I’m currently looking for a show size toadstool and some softie colonies. As well as some pulsing sinularia. Anyone have this or know somewhere that might? Any good online soft coral vendors or LFS? I’m in south jersey.

MadReefer

Staff member
NJRC Member
Welcome Sam.
Post your location. I have devil hand frags and can cut small piece of green nepthea.

DEL

Vice President
Staff member
Board of Directors
NJRC Member
20+ years! That is amazing! That's longer than I have been alive, and even though there is more to learn, you must have a lot of experience under your belt.
now I really feel old. I'm gonna hit the gym real quick and throw 225 on the bench to feel young again hahahaha!! I've had a lot of issues with all my tanks over the years, but that's how you learn what works and what doesn't for your setup. each setup is different so you need to tailor it to your tanks needs. always here if you need help.