• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Welcome To NJRC! Take a minute to introduce yourself

Bot587

NJRC Member
Never filled out the introduction thread. My name is Matt, and I have been in the hobby since I was in high school. Had a 120 reef throughout high school/college. Tore it down when I moved out of parents. Started up a 75 about two years ago (however my wife and I had a baby - so I had to put the reef expenses on hold for about a year.) The baby is currently 10 months and the tank has been chugging along with corals for the last 9 months!

Hi everyone.
Im not new here. I was a member about 6 or 7 years ago. But superstorm sandy got the better of my reef tank.
My house flooded with 2 feet of water and we lost power for 12 days.
I was able to keep the tank going with generators until 3 months later when my house burned down.
Lost everything.

So about a year ago i got the itch and started over. Bought a used oceanic 160 for a couple hundred and got started reading all i could.

Alot has changed over time, but really its all the same. The key is patience. And a wife that likes the aquarium, lol

Ill try to upload a pic of it today.
15488859122978709577709844037128.jpg

Hi! I am a undergraduate student pursuing a B.S. in marine science with a concentration in marine biology. I hope to continue in pursuing a PhD in coral reef ecology and conservation as well as continue studies in aquarium sciences and aquaculture. I am also a founding member and the current president of the Stockton Aquarium and Aquaculture Club. I have been in the hobby personally for about 10 years. I have maintained mostly freshwater aquaria but have volunteered at the Adventure Aquarium as a fish and invert biologist and i currently work at my university's marine field station aquaria lab maintaining the holding tanks that contain specimens collected from the estuary.

njtiger24 aquariums

Officer Emeritus
Article Contributor
Hi! I am a undergraduate student pursuing a B.S. in marine science with a concentration in marine biology. I hope to continue in pursuing a PhD in coral reef ecology and conservation as well as continue studies in aquarium sciences and aquaculture. I am also a founding member and the current president of the Stockton Aquarium and Aquaculture Club. I have been in the hobby personally for about 10 years. I have maintained mostly freshwater aquaria but have volunteered at the Adventure Aquarium as a fish and invert biologist and i currently work at my university's marine field station aquaria lab maintaining the holding tanks that contain specimens collected from the estuary.
Welcome. I was the guy who talked to you at the table in C-Wing. Happy to see you join and wish you the best with the build. Please share with us as you goes move forward.

Hi everyone.
Im not new here. I was a member about 6 or 7 years ago. But superstorm sandy got the better of my reef tank.
My house flooded with 2 feet of water and we lost power for 12 days.
I was able to keep the tank going with generators until 3 months later when my house burned down.
Lost everything.

So about a year ago i got the itch and started over. Bought a used oceanic 160 for a couple hundred and got started reading all i could.

Alot has changed over time, but really its all the same. The key is patience. And a wife that likes the aquarium, lol

Ill try to upload a pic of it today.
View attachment 22154
im still working on my wife enjoyment lol hopeful she pulls through , nice tank bro

Hello all. My name is Matt. I am just about ready to fill my first reef tank (I started a tale of the tank yesterday). I have kept fresh water fish for many years and loved them all but have always had a passion for Corals. To be honest I was intimidated but finally am taking the leap. Now that I have looked over this site and read several pages. I only wish I joined a year ago. So much great advice here. I am a simple family man born and raised in Central NJ. Love animals. Fish. Birds etc. I am a fairly proficient wood worker and am not afraid to tinker or fix things. I will continue to read stuff hear and try to get this new to me tank up and running correctly.

Andy Aquariums

NJRC Member
Hi everyone, my name is Andy. I have kept a fish tank since I was 8 with some years off in between (read: high school, college and law school). I convinced my wife three years ago that a 14g BioCube was not a big commitment. Now we have the biocube, a 10g frag tank, a picco reef, a freshwater "SpongeBob" tank for the kids and I am building a 40g breeder (and, of course, the obligatory betta fish). While I practice law by day, I spend my nights tending the tanks. I am always looking for something new to learn and get so much out of this hobby. I recently started a blog, www.andyaquariums.com, to help other beginner reefers find their bearings.