• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Ash's 400 Gallon Reef

So have a situation. My hippo tang is stuck in aquascape and can't get out all day. I tried turkey bastard but can barely reach this area. Only way I could get to him is to drain the tank to 1 foot and get in the tank even then it would be difficult since he is stuck between the structure that weights over 100lbs. I really hope I can get him out or he figures out he just has to arch his body to get free

kschweer

Administrator
Staff member
Officer Emeritus
So have a situation. My hippo tang is stuck in aquascape and can't get out all day. I tried turkey bastard but can barely reach this area. Only way I could get to him is to drain the tank to 1 foot and get in the tank even then it would be difficult since he is stuck between the structure that weights over 100lbs. I really hope I can get him out or he figures out he just has to arch his body to get free
Hippo tangs are strange and tend to have some strange behaviors, hiding being one of them. Chances are it is able to get out. I would give it the opportunity to get out in its own. Leave it be over night and see if he’s out by morning. If not maybe try to keep the lights off for a bit. May allow it to feel comfortable enough to Venture out.

ecam

President
Staff member
Board of Directors
NJRC Member
Yeah. Hippo wedge them selves to sleep. They won’t come out no matter what. If u see his tail use something to tap it. If it moves it’s scared and u will be fine. Should be out by the morning.
Mine hits the rocks right before lights out and comes out an hour after the lights

ecam

President
Staff member
Board of Directors
NJRC Member
He came out. Thanks for the good advice. I left it alone but turned of flow and used a bauster. I think that may have helped or eventually he just came out after 24 hrs
Congrats. He has found a home. Whenever you can’t find him. That is where to look.

Last edited:
In your post u mentioned that the left island it’s for lps, how are you thinking of addressing the flow in this e specific rock structure?
Lps flow can’t be as strong as sps coral!!!

In your post u mentioned that the left island it’s for lps, how are you thinking of addressing the flow in this e specific rock structure?
Lps flow can’t be as strong as sps coral!!!
Bc of flow i won't be able to add any torch or hammers to this tank. Only Gonis but they will probably go on the smaller structure under the overhang. The larger structure you mentioned I probably will add acans only. Mostly zoas, favias, brain coral type on the barebottom. Pretty much high flow LPS

Tangs are super aggressive. Especially the 2 baby purples trying to kill each other for one spot. The 2 yellows are also at each other throats for one spot and ripped fins all day. I don't know why they are not going in the back right corner. I put 2 hiding places there and a few more they just fighting for few spots

Don't know why I think this but best flow is when air is drawn from the surface and or small vortechs are constantly being formed in and around the surface

Bc of flow i won't be able to add any torch or hammers to this tank. Only Gonis but they will probably go on the smaller structure under the overhang. The larger structure you mentioned I probably will add acans only. Mostly zoas, favias, brain coral type on the barebottom. Pretty much high flow LPS
I think torches can hold good flow I see it in some of mine!
Also if you are able to put your mp60 at the back close to the high flow sps area you could get less flow on the other side.
I have same issue but mine it’s a all in one (can’t put the mp10 on the back)
But you definitely could get it done and/or at least try it
as euphillias bring so much movement .
Also the mp60 probably has so many settings to be able to get it done.