• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Innovative Marine 30 AIO Long

How much sand do you need. I have maybe 15 pounds of Fiji pink. That has never seen water if you like that and it is enough you may have it.

deepblue68

POTM Winner
I only had two small ones on a rock and it worked but I don't know with that many.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

nightmarepl

NJRC Member
yah honestly id either nuke the rock and replace the sand at this point if you got sand from amazon you can return it i did tht to mine haha, i would remove sand vinagar was the the tank rinse it all the hoses and all run the pumps and everything for a few hours then clean water run everythig to get smell and rest of vinegar out. and restart nuking the rock is gonna be a headache and letting it dry out and all honestly man id just get dry rock at this point

Hallowhead

NJRC Member
How much sand do you need. I have maybe 15 pounds of Fiji pink. That has never seen water if you like that and it is enough you may have it.

I'd need ~20 pounds. I used CaribSea Coarse sand - so I will go back with that.

yah honestly id either nuke the rock and replace the sand at this point if you got sand from amazon you can return it i did tht to mine haha, i would remove sand vinagar was the the tank rinse it all the hoses and all run the pumps and everything for a few hours then clean water run everythig to get smell and rest of vinegar out. and restart nuking the rock is gonna be a headache and letting it dry out and all honestly man id just get dry rock at this point

I will totally be doing that... Maybe it came from the sand who knows.. I may just buy dry rock. I would need to dig through a lot to find pieces like what I have.

So you're saying fill the tank with a bucket of white vinegar an tap water let it run a couple hours than remove all the water and let normal tap run to remove all vinegar traces?

I think I am okay with this... just need to find good dry rock.

nightmarepl

NJRC Member
I'd need ~20 pounds. I used CaribSea Coarse sand - so I will go back with that.

I will totally be doing that... Maybe it came from the sand who knows.. I may just buy dry rock. I would need to dig through a lot to find pieces like what I have.

So you're saying fill the tank with a bucket of white vinegar an tap water let it run a couple hours than remove all the water and let normal tap run to remove all vinegar traces?

I think I am okay with this... just need to find good dry rock.
would be your best bet honestly i used dry rock and live sand all from amazon cause im a cheap azz haha, used a bottle of bacteria im not even kidding tank was cycled in a week had atiny bit of nitrite which faded out within 2 days i tested around day 8 had perfect results. i added watchman goby with shrimp both alive added a damsel alive, after day 10 i got a brownish algae bloom which i did 30% water change its pretty much gone already have my clean up crew coming in " which if i was you id order from reefcleaners free shipping and you pay cents for them " have gree algae popping up alittle bit but results are really good. reason i went with dryrock all over the stores lately everyone is getting these little tube snails that grow on rocks and filters believe me if you get it your screwed.... i got them nothing kills them ive tried it all they spread like a plague literally stopped my wave maker and pumps by over growing so much... so i gave up and went with dry rock least i know i wont have them...so now everything ill be moving over and dipping

Hallowhead

NJRC Member
would be your best bet honestly i used dry rock and live sand all from amazon cause im a cheap azz haha, used a bottle of bacteria im not even kidding tank was cycled in a week had atiny bit of nitrite which faded out within 2 days i tested around day 8 had perfect results. i added watchman goby with shrimp both alive added a damsel alive, after day 10 i got a brownish algae bloom which i did 30% water change its pretty much gone already have my clean up crew coming in " which if i was you id order from reefcleaners free shipping and you pay cents for them " have gree algae popping up alittle bit but results are really good. reason i went with dryrock all over the stores lately everyone is getting these little tube snails that grow on rocks and filters believe me if you get it your screwed.... i got them nothing kills them ive tried it all they spread like a plague literally stopped my wave maker and pumps by over growing so much... so i gave up and went with dry rock least i know i wont have them...so now everything ill be moving over and dipping

What are the downsides to purchasing rock off Amazon? If any? Link to what you bought. please?

nightmarepl

NJRC Member
https://www.amazon.com/Natures-Ocea...ck&qid=1553523320&s=gateway&sr=8-1&th=1&psc=1
this is what i ordered they had a 30% coupon if you subcripe which came out ot 33$ you can cancel once it arrives haha, but ill say this its really soft rock crumbles easily, a butt load of rinsing which sucked, and the pieces where massive boulders didnt like it at all id recommend going to like some cheap fish store that carries rock and find some nice pieces that you can make stuff from. me personally i really like the watchman goby and pistol shrimp combo they make some neat tunnels and i also love shrimp but they need good hiding spots so id recommend making a bunch of tunnels caves itll help with molts and such

Hallowhead

NJRC Member
https://www.amazon.com/Natures-Ocean-12-Inch-Aquarium-40-Pound/dp/B00F8DVAO4/ref=sr_1_1?keywords=dry+rock&qid=1553523320&s=gateway&sr=8-1&th=1&psc=1
this is what i ordered they had a 30% coupon if you subcripe which came out ot 33$ you can cancel once it arrives haha, but ill say this its really soft rock crumbles easily, a butt load of rinsing which sucked, and the pieces where massive boulders didnt like it at all id recommend going to like some cheap fish store that carries rock and find some nice pieces that you can make stuff from. me personally i really like the watchman goby and pistol shrimp combo they make some neat tunnels and i also love shrimp but they need good hiding spots so id recommend making a bunch of tunnels caves itll help with molts and such

I like the rock I got so much that I think I am going to go through the headache of trying to nuke the rock...

3 days of drying maybe under a heat lamp. 4 days of vinegar water mix followed by extensive rinsing and another 3 days of drying.

nightmarepl

NJRC Member
I like the rock I got so much that I think I am going to go through the headache of trying to nuke the rock...

3 days of drying maybe under a heat lamp. 4 days of vinegar water mix followed by extensive rinsing and another 3 days of drying.
thatll work most likely clean the rock extra nice in the bath put it in fresh water run a strong pump to move the water in and out do like 100% water changes 5-10 times then dry it out really and put under lamps to completely dry the inside out that should do it imo

Hallowhead

NJRC Member
thatll work most likely clean the rock extra nice in the bath put it in fresh water run a strong pump to move the water in and out do like 100% water changes 5-10 times then dry it out really and put under lamps to completely dry the inside out that should do it imo

Would a light power wash help lol?

nightmarepl

NJRC Member
Would a light power wash help lol?
well you want the chemicals to go deep into the pores of the rock thats while soaking is recommended these rocks have tiny tunnels going through them where that little antipasta has his roots in you want to fry him completely out

Hallowhead

NJRC Member
well you want the chemicals to go deep into the pores of the rock thats while soaking is recommended these rocks have tiny tunnels going through them where that little antipasta has his roots in you want to fry him completely out
If the rock completely dries out all of the antipasta die correct?

Hallowhead

NJRC Member
IF you completely dry out the rocks for a year, there will be organics and spores that will be dormant . I would sooner recommend doing an acid bath on the rocks and then a solid rinsing out. Then do a bleach of the rock and the whole system. Do not do an acid bath with bleach mix in it. It will create a toxic gas.

This will explain how Rock reincarnation... beyond "cooking" - Reef Central Online Community
It's inevitable that no matter which route I go I will end up having something.. This current instance I want to get rid of antipasta... will my current method eradicate them? Or is this bleach bath required.. I am getting so many different routes

No offense intended to anyone. But listen to Diana. Her advice is always sound and spot on. I would guess she speaks with considerable experience. Either way. I watch all threads and have never disagreed with anything even remotely that she has posted.

Hallowhead

NJRC Member
IF you completely dry out the rocks for a year, there will be organics and spores that will be dormant . I would sooner recommend doing an acid bath on the rocks and then a solid rinsing out. Then do a bleach of the rock and the whole system. Do not do an acid bath with bleach mix in it. It will create a toxic gas.

This will explain how Rock reincarnation... beyond "cooking" - Reef Central Online Community

So I read this and believe it will work.. When it mentions it will take 6 months to become alive again will that mean it takes 6 months for my cycle to complete? Or just for live to form on the rock again?

No offense intended to anyone. But listen to Diana. Her advice is always sound and spot on. I would guess she speaks with considerable experience. Either way. I watch all threads and have never disagreed with anything even remotely that she has posted.

Seems like I would agree with the process just not sure I am willing to go through all that work. However, there is a chance I experience this with any rock I purchase. I am feeling a pit in my stomach already and I have not even started lol.

I don't know if I want to simply trash / sell / return this rock and start over or long haul it.

Just keep in mind if you let the rock "dry out" and let everything just die, there's going to be dead, organic matter on/inside the rock. If you put that back in, those will decompose and leach over time.

In short. You have two basic choices.
Fresh start with new rock or start older with old rock
People put to much into the physical appearance of the rock. The goal is to cover the rock with coral.
Yes. In the early stages it’s the rock that gives the tank its look. But your goal should be... if you used cinderblocks it wouldn’t matter because the coral is covering it all.

Hallowhead

NJRC Member
In short. You have two basic choices.
Fresh start with new rock or start older with old rock
People put to much into the physical appearance of the rock. The goal is to cover the rock with coral.
Yes. In the early stages it’s the rock that gives the tank its look. But your goal should be... if you used cinderblocks it wouldn’t matter because the coral is covering it all.
I know... I just got attached to it. I am sure I could find something even more cool. Do you think the LFS will take it back? Is that something that happens ?

"Return Policy - All sales are final"
sheeesh... guess I will be seeing if anyone wants to buy it :(