• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Innovative Marine 30 AIO Long

diana a

Staff member
NJRC Member
No do not boil the rock! It will release toxins which can kill anyone who inhales the fumes.

deepblue68

POTM Winner
wow never heard that before but rodi water in white vinegar will take care of them in my experience only

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Hallowhead

NJRC Member
wow never heard that before but rodi water in white vinegar will take care of them in my experience only

So just remove rock place in RO/di and white vinegar for how long ? One day ? Just a dip? Rinse it after ?

deepblue68

POTM Winner
I would leave it for a week take it out and put it in rodi water for a day and let it dry out for another day.

Hallowhead

NJRC Member
I would leave it for a week take it out and put it in rodi water for a day and let it dry out for another day.

At this point should I just do all three of my rocks? Leave the tank running with no rock and constantly stir the sand to potentially get rid of any remnants ? The cycle will stop any progress correct ?

nightmarepl

NJRC Member
At this point should I just do all three of my rocks? Leave the tank running with no rock and constantly stir the sand to potentially get rid of any remnants ? The cycle will stop any progress correct ?
personally i had this issue where i got a rock and had 2 of them on it didnt really know much thought it was a cool alittle coral to add after doing some research and internet panic haha, i took the rock out of the water " had fuji pink fine grade sand " used a pair snips and just cut the f***er out with alittle rock so i barely touched it aswell, than i let the tank finish cycle " added bacteria ofcourse " after cycle finished i got myself 3 peppermints had them over 2 months no issues but they died due to my clown stressing the soul out of them never had the " Antipastas " again funny word for them

Hallowhead

NJRC Member
personally i had this issue where i got a rock and had 2 of them on it didnt really know much thought it was a cool alittle coral to add after doing some research and internet panic haha, i took the rock out of the water " had fuji pink fine grade sand " used a pair snips and just cut the f***er out with alittle rock so i barely touched it aswell, than i let the tank finish cycle " added bacteria ofcourse " after cycle finished i got myself 3 peppermints had them over 2 months no issues but they died due to my clown stressing the soul out of them never had the " Antipastas " again funny word for them

See the thing is I can confirm there are hundreds of little antipastas littered across the rock. They're all gonna grow ! It doesn't seem like I can add a peppermint shrimp yet so I'm feeling like just killing my rock and starting over.. which isn't at much

nightmarepl

NJRC Member
See the thing is I can confirm there are hundreds of little antipastas littered across the rock. They're all gonna grow ! It doesn't seem like I can add a peppermint shrimp yet so I'm feeling like just killing my rock and starting over.. which isn't at much
see what sucks is you probably paid top dollar for live rock, id take that rock back to the store and throw it at them haha, reason why i never go live rock always go dry rock and just use bacteria no point

Hallowhead

NJRC Member
see what sucks is you probably paid top dollar for live rock, id take that rock back to the store and throw it at them haha, reason why i never go live rock always go dry rock and just use bacteria no point

I would but the rock has so much character :(

I just wish I was told it had antipastas.. I paid very good money with them knowingly selling me it loaded with ****.

So I guess I'll be vinegar bathing it and adding bacteria. I worry about **** being in the sand tho

deepblue68

POTM Winner
if bringing back the live rock is option why don't you do that would be less of a headache . I hate to see you kill you rock and start all over. this is something that I did once and worked was I just lucky I don't know.

Hallowhead

NJRC Member
if bringing back the live rock is option why don't you do that would be less of a headache . I hate to see you kill you rock and start all over. this is something that I did once and worked was I just lucky I don't know.

The live rock is just so cool looking.. and although I know I can find similar live rock without antipastas on it I feel like just nuking the rock is the best case.

I just want to know if the sand / filter socks / hoses will be okay or does that have to get filtered / cleaned as well?

deepblue68

POTM Winner
I think it would be fine.if you bought that rock from a store I would definitely bring it back first.

deepblue68

POTM Winner
have you tried the kalkwasser or peppermint shrimp it really works especially the shrimp

Hallowhead... just want to take a second to say. Wow that sucks. I really feel terrible. But take solace in the fact that you didn’t have the tank up and running. So the only thing you lost is a little time. In my humble opinion. Nuke the hole tank. They could be anywhere and make you life miserable. Best of luck buddy.

deepblue68

POTM Winner
I do agree with sponge but before you jump into doing something take a step back do some research on methods to eradicate them and make a plan from there.the last thing i want to do is steer you in the wrong direction.
I would just get rid of that rock because there probably going to keep coming back if you don't fully kill them off and you will be going round and round with them

Hallowhead

NJRC Member
Hallowhead... just want to take a second to say. Wow that sucks. I really feel terrible. But take solace in the fact that you didn’t have the tank up and running. So the only thing you lost is a little time. In my humble opinion. Nuke the hole tank. They could be anywhere and make you life miserable. Best of luck buddy.

Thanks man.. I am happy that my tank isn't established. All I have in life is time so although it sucks and I won't have fish / coral in my tank for a while I'd rather it be done zero headaches so in 3 months I am not wondering why my coral are dying and massive antipasta outbreaks.

Hallowhead

NJRC Member
I do agree with sponge but before you jump into doing something take a step back do some research on methods to eradicate them and make a plan from there.the last thing i want to do is steer you in the wrong direction.
I would just get rid of that rock because there probably going to keep coming back if you don't fully kill them off and you will be going round and round with them

I just love the way the coral look :(

I have no problem breaking down the tank and leaving the rock out for several days to dry out and than vinegar bathing it a couple days. But you don't think that will kill it completely???? How would I clean the sand? Or are you saying just get new sand??