• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Kschweers rebuild. 57g rimless

Not a problem Kevin when you are ready shoot me some measurements it shouldn't be a problem I can make something just like that and you won't have to worry about weight and still look really good

I did something similar. I used 1/2 " galvanized pipe from the electrical section. Bend it to a 90 degree used a eyelet hook on it to hang my tek 6x39 watt fixture and mounted it to my stand. Oh and painted it black.
gaqynu2u.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

Fish Brain

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Kevin to get the coralline off the overflow. Here's a trick I did on mine. I took a towel and soaked it in vinegar and laid it on the overflow for 2hrs. And you should be able to just scrub it off with a brush.

+1 to this! You might need to dose the towel with a little extra vinegar every so often to keep it wet, but it sure does beat scrubbing!

kschweer

Administrator
Staff member
Officer Emeritus
I did something similar. I used 1/2 " galvanized pipe from the electrical section. Bend it to a 90 degree used a eyelet hook on it to hang my tek 6x39 watt fixture and mounted it to my stand. Oh and painted it black.
gaqynu2u.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

Nice! Have you had the light on it yet? Any "give" when weight is on it?

kschweer

Administrator
Staff member
Officer Emeritus
Not a problem Kevin when you are ready shoot me some measurements it shouldn't be a problem I can make something just like that and you won't have to worry about weight and still look really good

Awesome! Thanks again Dan, ill be In touch soon.

kschweer

Administrator
Staff member
Officer Emeritus
Jose, which hanging kit did you pick up? The one made by tek light or something different?

redfishbluefish

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Kevin, not familiar with it....but when they mention "two part," I'm thinking epoxy. How does the price of this stuff compare to epoxy coatings?

kschweer

Administrator
Staff member
Officer Emeritus
It's a 2 part spray. Comes with 2 18oz spray cans for about $19

redfishbluefish

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
It's a 2 part spray. Comes with 2 18oz spray cans for about $19

Kevin, still sounding like an epoxy.....if you think you can do it in two cans, go for it. Otherwise, I'd look into picking up the two cans of resin to apply the epoxy that way....in the end, less expensive.....about $30-$40 for a quart.

kschweer

Administrator
Staff member
Officer Emeritus
Yea I'm thinking the same way now, especially after reading more than enough unfavorable review. Just thought the spray would be a little easier. The video they produced was pretty cool though...lol

kschweer

Administrator
Staff member
Officer Emeritus
I'm pretty sure it's the same stuff. The video from "neverwet" did a lot of the same things to demonstrate the product.

They just put it in an aerosol can for homeowner use so you don't need a gun to spray it. Should have the same coverage as a normal can of spray paint.

kschweer

Administrator
Staff member
Officer Emeritus
I'm sitting down designing my stand now and thinking I want to make it a little taller than a "factory" stand. I'm thinking 36" for the height. Do you guys think that's too tall or not enough?

I made mine 36" tall and I love it. I do need a step stool to get to the bottom of the tank. But I don't mind.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

redfishbluefish

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
I believe I'm at 36 1/2 which is just fine when standing next to the tank. I recently put a couch in the fish room, and it seems a bit high sitting in the couch.....but I'm still OK with the stand height....because most walk in and stare....so it's good.