• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Kschweers rebuild. 57g rimless

The darker the stain the more forgiving it is matching up the woods. If you were set on real dark they have ebony stains as well. If you need a hand mixing stains to match the wood I can give you a hand. I am right up the road in Smithville and paint in Ocean City so I am not that far. Plus I used to live on 40th street in Brig and fish there almost every Sunday and Monday. :)

redfishbluefish

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Kevin, not sure what woods you are using, but if you use a stain sealer first, the tone will be more similar between the woods…especially if you go with a darker stain.

kschweer

Administrator
Staff member
Officer Emeritus
The darker the stain the more forgiving it is matching up the woods. If you were set on real dark they have ebony stains as well. If you need a hand mixing stains to match the wood I can give you a hand. I am right up the road in Smithville and paint in Ocean City so I am not that far. Plus I used to live on 40th street in Brig and fish there almost every Sunday and Monday. :)

Thanks for the offer I will definitely be in touch when I'm ready to finish the stand.

kschweer

Administrator
Staff member
Officer Emeritus
Kevin, not sure what woods you are using, but if you use a stain sealer first, the tone will be more similar between the woods…especially if you go with a darker stain.

I don't remember off the top of my head the types if wood but ill look at the receipts tomorrow to try to figure it out and also look into the stain sealer. Thanks Paul.

MAB has a sanding sealer that is awesome for that purpose. I have used it many times, mostly on oak stairs and hand rails. Heavy duty stuff though. Def a respirator and ventilation is recommended or you get a headache that only lots of alcohol will takeaway (from personal experience). Great product though.

kschweer

Administrator
Staff member
Officer Emeritus
Here is my plan to mount the light rails. I plan to install 2 vertical 2x4's inside the stand. Here's a picture that shows what I'm talking about.
taza5ypa.jpg

I plan to use these 2x4's to anchor the light rails to. I will either bolt or use lag screws to attach them. I think this should be sufficient to hold the legs. What do you guys think?

redfishbluefish

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Kevin, do you even need to put additional 2X4’s in the stand….which will now take up room. I’m thinking that you can grab the horizontal 2x4’s on the top and bottom of the stand to attach the light rail.

kschweer

Administrator
Staff member
Officer Emeritus
Excellent point Paul! Thank you. This is always why I ask even if I think I have the right answer. Always good to have a fresh set of eyes take a look. Thanks again Paul

kschweer

Administrator
Staff member
Officer Emeritus
Got the doors and stand sanded and ready for paint today.

Here's a picture of the doors. Couldn't get a good picture of the stand because of how it was situated in the shop.
jaqu2ety.jpg

Doors should be mounted tomorrow and then I will bring the stand back to my shop for paint.

kschweer

Administrator
Staff member
Officer Emeritus
Thanks Jose! After a lot of back and forth I have decided to paint the stand. What color? Still not sure. I'm debating either a high gloss black or high gloss white. I'm leaning more towards the black at the moment.

kschweer

Administrator
Staff member
Officer Emeritus
Ok so I'm probably really overthinking this paint thing, but I want to make the right decision first. I'm decided on paint just not a color. I'm thinking of going with a dark grey color. What do you guys think?

All based on taste,really. I prefer dark colors because the tank already lights up the room and dark is a nice contrast. I hear they have '50 shades' of grey. So you have a lot of options :D

kschweer

Administrator
Staff member
Officer Emeritus
Lol. So I really was overthinking it and snapped myself out of it. I went with my original plan of black. I primed everything and got a coat of paint on the stand. Tomorrow I will prime and paint the doors and get another coat or two on the stand.

ha8e3ugy.jpg
y7u2e2uj.jpg
numyda4y.jpg
bydetu4e.jpg

kschweer

Administrator
Staff member
Officer Emeritus
Thanks zip!

Lol Jose I don't know why I couldn't make up my mind. Hopefully the stand will be done this weekend and I can move on to fun part. Plumbing and aquascaping!