• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Kschweers rebuild. 57g rimless

kschweer

Administrator
Staff member
Officer Emeritus
Thanks guys. I was figuring I would need a step stool either way, I'm pretty short. And I will be viewing the tank while standing the vast majority of the time.

kschweer

Administrator
Staff member
Officer Emeritus
Today I got the overflow all cleaned up. My plan for tomorrow is to paint the back glass black and I am also thinking about painting the bottom trim. I plan to paint the stand and light rails flat black so I was thinking it would look good if the bottom trim was also flat black. My plan is to "rough" up the trim a bit with some sand paper and use krylon fusion to paint it. Anyone see any issues with this plan?

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1379135862.185524.jpg

Sounds like a good plan their Kevin.
Did you use the towel trick on the overflow ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

kschweer

Administrator
Staff member
Officer Emeritus
Got a decent amount of work done today.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1379204799.115390.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1379204920.819268.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1379204935.820823.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1379204956.560629.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1379204968.992114.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1379204981.207390.jpg

Hopefully doors and at least one coat of paint tomorrow. I'm also going to try and paint the back glass.

redfishbluefish

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Always like the DIY woodworking…..looks fantastic. However, I do have a problem with that behemoth overflow…..go Glass-Holes! :grin:

kschweer

Administrator
Staff member
Officer Emeritus
Looking good. So how high you make the stand.

I made the stand 36". I'm happy that I did I really like that I don't have to bend down as much to view the tank.

kschweer

Administrator
Staff member
Officer Emeritus
Always like the DIY woodworking…..looks fantastic. However, I do have a problem with that behemoth overflow…..go Glass-Holes! :grin:
Thank you Paul I am pretty happy with how it's coming along.
I knew the overflow was going to come up sooner or later....lol. It's still a thought in the back of my head, I'm just not sure how easily that overflow will come out

Personally I hate the look of the RR overflow's but I love that the drains are on the bottom of the tank which allows you to get as close to the wall as possible. Unlike the glass holes overflow. But I love the small footprint that they take up in the tank.
Damned if you do , damed if you don't.

kschweer

Administrator
Staff member
Officer Emeritus
Got a little more work done today. I took the stand to a friends shop and built some panel doors with his help. I think these will look better than just flat doors like I was planning. Glue is drying now, hopefully I will get the hinges on and hang the doors in the next few days.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1379273941.874082.jpg

Also going to wood putty all the holes from the nail gun and get everything ready for paint.

That's nice you have a friends shop to make those. I ended up ordering doors online for my stand since it was over my head to make them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

kschweer

Administrator
Staff member
Officer Emeritus
That's nice you have a friends shop to make those. I ended up ordering doors online for my stand since it was over my head to make them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

Yea it's definitely a huge help. It's also very convenient since its only about a mile from my house. The stand is there now and will be there until the doors are mounted and it is ready for paint. Then it's back to the shop I work out of for paint. I'm still deciding what I'm going to do paint wise. I was going to do everything flat black, but after thinking it through a little more I don't think it's the best idea. I think it may really catch and show any salt creep and not be very easy to clean.

kschweer

Administrator
Staff member
Officer Emeritus
You should do a whitewash paint job a crackle finish.

Not a bad idea. I think I'm trying to stay a little more on the "modern" look side of things. I'm looking around the Internet now for some ideas. Anyone have any thoughts?

redfishbluefish

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Well I went gloss black on the big tank (90 gallon) and flat black ($0.97/spray can) for the JBJ 28. Haven’t fully set up the JBJ yet, but the big tank does require a damp cloth wipe down every so often.

I prefer dark cherry or mahogany stain with a satin or semi gloss poly finish. Love those dark woods against a tank :)

I like the stain finish too I'm setting up a 180 in the next couple weeks and I'm going to stain the stand as well
Go with the stain Kevin

kschweer

Administrator
Staff member
Officer Emeritus
Thanks for the input guys. I think I'll take a deeper look into some stains. Only issue that may arise is that the wood for the top, stand skin and doors are different. I guess I'll have to test some stains on some scraps and see how different they may look.