• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Merv's new 40 gallon build

mnat

Officer Emeritus
Staff member
njrc1.jpg

I heard this guy/girl loves your new setup. Would that be your sump that is your next project?

mnat said:
I heard this guy/girl loves your new setup. Would that be your sump that is your next project?

Ugh. That chick is hairy-

Yes, a new sump. First time making one too.....and I did today!!!!!!!!!!

and of course, this isn't complete without:

P3050235.jpg

Materials:

1. Acrylic pieces (I precut them earlier today)
2. Weldon 3 (water consistency)
3. Syringe tube squeezie thingy
4. Weldon 16 (thicker)

So basically, after looking at pics and looking at a few things from Melev's reef, I went ahead just like everything I do- Head first! Play now, practice now, fix later!

So I started!

I peeled just the outer edge of the acrylic pieces, just so there will be contact between the joints:

P3050236.jpg

here's the outer edges of the protective film peeled back and cut off:

P3050239.jpg

then, taken from Melev's site, I used the squares (edges cut off so it won't touch and adhere too)

P3050241.jpg

then the applicator bottle with Weldon 3. I used to build model planes (the ones that fly) and it's just like using cyanoacrylate glue on balsa. It just soaks it up!

P3050243.jpg

P3050244.jpg

make sure ALL the edges are squared up!

P3050245.jpg

that's what these boys are for!

P3050246.jpg

also a word of advice on the joints- apply firm pressure between the joints to make sure there is contact between the two pieces of acrylic. It should set in about 15-30 seconds, but FULL BOND strength takes longer than 24 hours.

I did a little bit of overlap since I'll be utilizing a borrowed plunge router tomorrow and that could clean up the edges purty goooooood

here's the "box" soon to be a sump or refugium. This one measures 14"W X 12"H X 24"L

P3050248.jpg

and here it is with baffles for bubble reduction.

P3050253.jpg

I also placed another piece of acrylic on top of the box thereby "sealing" it completely. I will use a router to cut the center section out thereby creating a Eurobrace helping reinforce the acrylic panels and to prevent further stress on the plastic. I didn't take a pic of that one since I wanted to do something else.......

so I wanted to do something else.............

because.......

THE LAST ONE WAS MY PRACTICE SUMP! :D

Didn't you guys notice it was 24 inches long? The internal dimensions of my stand is 23"

So..... I made my REAL sump- but instead, used 1/4 inch acrylic-

applicator bottle (more careful this time, no drips!)

P3050249.jpg

P3050250.jpg

P3050251.jpg

All peeled up and cleaned

P3050252.jpg

and I went ahead and taped off the insides of the new sump so I could apply Weldon 16 to the larger gaps that I could see. I'm going to give it the weekend (since I'll be back in AC this weekend) before I water test. It's not 100% pretty like the store bought sumps and all, but I'm dang proud of it!

P3050254.jpg

And here it is sitting inside under the tank with no baffles. I'm gonna wait until I get my pump from the group buy and figure out where to put the "bubble box" and where to drill the hole for the Panworld external. I'll also figure out then how much space I'll need for the skimmer too.

P3050255.jpg

P3050257.jpg

Anyone want to buy a perfectly watertight "practice sump" in the next two weeks since I still have to route it out and finesse it? It'll be perfect for a fuge or an actual sump, it's just not as pretty since it was my first one!

I'll bring the sump to the meeting, you're going right?

Went to home depot and lowes today, had some lowes coupons that I used to get me some gardening supplies (we're setting up a garden in Philly since we
have a small back yard), some more plumbing and then got a router and table combo...... I've always wanted one anyways, and at 99.99 it didn't decline the credit card. :D

Oh yeah, and I stopped by ocean aquarium near AC for two bags (about 40 lbs) of caribsea white ultra fine sand- I plan on mixing a slghtly higher grade sand in the future....

I picked up some supplies for the other tank while I was at it :)

My sump's almost done- here is the bubble box in place and waiting to be installed, then 2 more baffles:

sump.jpg

then it's off to the router table and sanding and some polishing with a creme brulee torch :D

Baxreefs said:
Nice Merve!

Practice sump!

You crack me up! ;D

Practice makes perfect Bax!

I thought I would post some pics here for the "practice sump"

It's all sealed up, torched up, sanded down, cleaned out, bubble-boxed (an original with the help of RichT!) and semi packed in the trunk ready for its new home to the lucky owner picking up at tomorrow's meeting :)

Here is the sump being water tested- yep, it was full of water for 72 hours- no leakage!

P3120275.jpg

P3120277.jpg

The bubble box installed:

P3130281.jpg

P3130280.jpg

P3130279.jpg

and the mandatory FSS (Full Sump Shot :D )

P3130283.jpg

(Man, I ruined the dining room table again didn't I?)

Here's part of what I picked up at the March meeting in Rod's house; the stuff I ordered from the Group buy:
(Reflector, Heater, Skimmer and pump below) I already had the Ballast.

P3140286.jpg

Proposed locations for the skimmer and the pump...
Hmmmm, I have 3-5 more inches in width to spare, I didn't realize the Panworld 40 was gonna be this petite.
Should I build a wider sump?!?!?

P3140287.jpg

I think I may just end up building another sump after all-
I think I may make it 15 wide instead of 12" maybe even throw in a refugium of some sorts....
and maybe even a sponge catch. . . I have enough space to spare.....hmmmmmmmmmmm

P3140288.jpg

Here's the mess I am starting to accumulate.
I'm getting tired of seeing my mess everyday at dinner on the couch (since I took over the dining room table)

P3140289.jpg

JRWOHLER said:
I liked your idea of a multi level fuge go for it!! ;D

that's what's in the works :D

I'm designing it right now as I type- pics soon to follow of course :)

evoIX said:
merv what skimmer is that?

Eshopps skimmer. Cheap and the ratings weren't that bad, supposed to be rated for a 75-100. The only thing I didn't like about it was the way the pump sat. There were no brackets to hold it in place so it may have a tendency to spin on its axis a bit (over time I presume). I will be building a bracket for it so it's stable- I may also build a feed for it, directly from the output of the overflow, but I'll probably do that in the future since I have other things to setup-

the proposed new and updated sump design:

newsumpjpg.jpg

I'm debating on how I'd be able to fit this under the cabinet and still make it somewhat functional and accessible. I may or may not do this since it's getting pretty tight in there and then there's the added extra light fixture I'll need. It's still in the works, but I can always make another sump when I'm ready to make the jump. In the meantime, I ordered an RO unit for the house for both drinking water and for the tank- I can't wait until I no longer get to spend money on this.... Tax return? What tax return?