• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Sooo...How was your day?

Brian

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
It had to be better than mine!

Woke up this morning..3 fish dead.. 2 Chromis and 1 Lyretail Anthia.. Found them stuck to my skimmer inlet...

Ok..That's weird...but its strong suction, I've had a chromis or 2 take the ride to the sump and get stuck there before...

Come home from work...

Sohal - Dead
Sailfin - Dead
Powder Blue - Dead
ALL Anthia's - Dead
Fairy Wrasse - Dead
Emperor Angel that I was holding in fuge till I got my other tank running...Dead

The only survivors are my 2 Black Ocellaris and My Yellow Clown Goby.

ALL Corals look fine... the surviving fish look fine..

I haven't done any water tests yet...So I have no idea what is going on.

Gotta Love it! :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

C

concept3

so sorry to hear brian-

possible reasons to look into for sudden deaths

1. huge temp fluctuation
2. Ammo spike
3. nitrite spike
4. huge ph fluctuation
5. electrocution

Honest Brian, I wasn't getting even for my Copper Band!

Anything new in the last few days? Any changes to setup or additives?

Very sorry to hear about your losses! It's a shame you can't frag fish easily. I know I'm thinking of taking a break from fish and focus on corals myself.

I've lost quite a few in the last few weeks myself. My Chalk Bass disappeared after I added the purple tang. My firefish from my avatar is MIA since I moved the rocks in the 55. I've lost 3 butterflies in QT and all my Dispar Anthia's after they graduated to the main tank.

We need to kick back in the soon to be created lounge for awhile.

Hang in there! ;)

Brian

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Nothing new... I moved a Tunze about 1"down and over a little bit...

That is the only change I made... I did a water change over a week ago... I dont run carbon for the first week after I do a water change...can't see that making any difference.

Checked my ACjr and it showed a steady temp, the PH is steady. Well, I monitor the PH out of my reactor, that hasn't changed, but I do have another monitor on the tank itself and it's where it usually is.. 8.1 (usually fluctuates 8.1 - 8.2)

I had my hand in the tank, so I don't think it's electricity.... I think I would have felt something if it was severe enough to kill all the fish.. Now that I think about it though..I'm not sure if my heaters are on...So I guess I should check those and see if I notice anything strange. I also have the tank on GFI's.

On to the manual testing

JohnS_323

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Oh man Brian, that really sucks! I know, understatement of the year.  I can't believe it.

I've told you my philosophy with this hobby (which I know sounds pessimistic) but I feel that every good day is one day closer to a disaster.  We defy all kinds of odds by doing this delicate little balancing act!

To a smaller degree I almost had my own calamity at my office today.  Fortunately(?!?), I got roped into staying late.  At about 5:45 water starts spraying out of my nano and all over my walls.  I bolted over to it and found the hose came off of the return line and was beginning to drain the overflow area!  If I weren't here I would have had a couple of gallons on the floor, a burnt out pump and some pretty hurting livestock.

But back to your issue, if there is ANYTHING we can do to help out, just let us know.

Daniel

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Sorry for your loss :( I have been there many times :( I do not use a heater on my 180 gallon tank and my water temp is 76* and it is on a out side wall.

Brian

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Thanks Everyone..

Well... The plot thickens..

Nitrate: 0.2
Nitrite : 0
PH (done with meter and test kit) 8.2
NH4 : 0
ALK: 3.88 meq/l
DKH: 10.88

Everything seems in line with my normal test readings. My alk and dkh are both a bit higher than normal. Up from 3.5 / 9.92.

I found another survivor...I think one of my dispars...Hiding in the rocks.. Maybe I will find a few others...

I really don't understand this, my heaters are on...So of course, I stick my hand in to make sure I didn't get shocked (no comments please!) and I didn't. So I filled up 2 Phosban Reactors with carbon...and I guess we will see what happens.

This is totally confusing to me...All the corals/inverts look fine, good polyp extension on all the corals... My orange rics look a funny though..

Is there anything else I am missing?!

Daniel

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Brian My wife all ways says she is going to poor bleach in my tank when I piss her off. May be that is why I had Crashes in the Past ??? LOL.
Did you Piss off your Wife ??? That is if you are married
I am Sorry :'(

RichT

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Bummer! Hang in there.

Seems like the only thing left is disease or foreign contaminate.

I read a tag line: "A true measure of ones passion is their reaction to disaster". Seemed fitting. You'll figure out what happened and (we'll) be all the better for the experience.

Good Luck

Phyl

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Brian & Deb, so sorry to hear about the unexplainable losses. Not knowing is the worst part of this hobby. Things that look great today could be dead tomorrow. Having them go en masse like that just sucks. Sorry.

Now we all know what to bring to Brian's for his meeting. I'll bring a chromis :D

RIP fishies.

Sorry to hear Brian, that really sucks. I hope you find out what the cause was, at least in my past I new the cause, it must be really frustrating, you did mention you had your hands in the tank is it possable there was something on them when you were working in the tank? Just a thought... hope it might help...

malulu

NJRC Member
sorry to hear that...

did you add new rocks in? may be some preditor(s) in it?

do you have another tank? may be you should take the rest of the fishes out to the other tank for a while? (not sure how you can catch them...)

if you like green chromic, i can give you two...
let me know.

best regards,
-david

Brian

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
I'm still confused as hell, I've been staring at the tank trying to figure out what could have went wrong.

I thought about stuff on my hands...but I put my hands in after I found them all dead. All the other fish look fine... no spots,patches,cloudy eyes...nothing.

The only thing am I noticing is a some cyano on my sand bed. but even that seems to be lifting up and going away slowly but surely.

The tank is crystal clear again...all corals still look good (even the rics are starting to fill up again)

I think I will need a miracle to figure this out!