• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Sooo...How was your day?

Daniel

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
How about what you feed them? Any thing new in the food in the last couple of days?

Well when starting out,
I painted a bedroom and all three tanks crashed Bad
I cleaned my oven and all three tanks crashed Bad again
I threw some Cheeto in the tanks to hold for the sump-in making
3 tanks crashed overnight.
Woke up one morning and had lost all butterfly's and seahorses.
When I come home now, first thing I do is check the tanks, is they are OK I made it through a anorther day.

This is not a easy Hobby
I feel your loss!!!
Greg

Brian

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Thanks Greg..

There has been no difference in what I feed them.. In fact I didn't feed them yesterday. Just some Nori, but it's the same nori I have been using for awhile now.

When the hell do I decide to put fish back in?? Considering I don't know what killed everything!

JohnS_323

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
ReefDrumz said:
When the hell do I decide to put fish back in?? Considering I don't know what killed everything!

Geeze, that really is the million dollar question.  I hope you can figure out what it is.  How about salinity?  Kind of a reach, but did you check that?  No meds or anything right?  The real puzzler is that corals are fine.

Brian

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Nope...No meds or additives..,I did kalk a few aiptasia a few days ago... I wouldn't think that 3ml of Kalk Paste put on a few spots of the rock would hurt anything, especially 2 days later.

My Salinity was one point off using my refractometer. 1.024 vs. the usual 1.025.

I wouldn't consider that to be detrimental to the fish. (right?)

JohnS_323

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Nah. That one point isn't it.

OK, here's another stupid one but I gotta ask: It couldn't be suffocation, could it? Large fish dying, small fish living? But man, you've got A LOT of air being introduced into your system. It can't be that . . . .

RichT

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
.001 shouldn't make a diff.
I think right now your suffering from the "I can't see the forest through the tree's" syndrome. Let it sit. See how the other fish react. Maybe a foreign substance/event sucked all the O2 out of the water long enough to effect the fish but not the corals. I think corals don't use O2 during the day so O2 deprivation wouldn't effect the corals as it would the fish. I don't know, I'm just thinking out loud. I know the introduction of CO2 would cause a change in the PH so you can probably rule that out. Lets stew on it for awhile, something will turn up. If you end up ruling out Oxygen deprivation, and the other fish die, it may be best to let the tank fallow for a couple weeks and flush out the bad guy/bug if it exists.

RichT

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Any way to draw the air for the becket from an alternate source, like outside? Also, again thinking out loud, maybe he's adding plenty of air but do we know if that air is ok? and how can we rule out the O2 being made unavailable to the fish i.e. "locked up or bound" by some other means?

Brian

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
That was another thought... I don't have a Dissolved Oxygen Test Kit, so I couldn't really be sure. But I have a lot of surface agitation in the tank, and lots of turbulance in the sump. Then there's the skimmer.  The room the filter is in isn't insulated very well, so there is plenty of air in there. (we have bilco doors that lead to this room...if you have bilco's you know what i'm talking about!)

I may have had a lot of fish, but they weren't very big, the biggest tang was 4" It would have been a problem I had to address, but I figured I wouldn't have to worry about it for a few years atleast!

Even my macro algae is growing fine.. I was thinking about that going sexual or something, but that clouds the water and the caulpera turns white I believe. But all the macro is nice and green. None of it looks clear or white. There was one little area (about 1" long) that was a little yellow. I'm not sure what that means.

RichT

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
you have a furnace in the area? can fumes get in the area through the bilco's? maybe carbon monoxide alarm / test kit would be in order

Brian

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Tank is in the basement, furnace is in the basement, but in a totally different area. There is a carbon monoxide detector in the basement.

I guess fumes could get in the Bilco's, but there is a door between the bilco's and the room, nothing near the bilco's other than the dryer vent. There is a washer and dryer in the room with the sump. But there was no gas smell or anything from the dryer (when I ran it last) that would make me think it was leaking.

There is no laundry detergents, or household chemicals near the sump. I smelled the barrel the RO water is in, it smells fine, no odor whatsoever. The TDS out of my RO is 1 ppm.

Keep the idea's coming!

C

concept3

i'm still thinking brian-

sorry again for the loss-

it has to be something external at this point since the corals are doing OK. Keep changing the carbon or do a water change- it's the only way you can get rid of the pollutants in the water if there is any-

im sorry to hear about what happen Bryan , you know is wear on tuesday i lost my huge GSMC that i had for 2 years and i check everything and it was fine i could not explain what happen especially to my daughter when she was looking for him ,but anyway im sorry to hear what happen .

Ralph

so sorry Brian. i would have a breakdown over that.
lets think. how do the fish vs. corals differ. gills, among other things. hey do you have a ozonizer? i know that if the return water is not carbon filtered it burns the gills on fish and kills them. ozone doesn't harm coral.
think anatomy and physiology. think why fish and why not corals.

Daniel said:
Brian My wife all ways says she is going to poor bleach in my tank when I piss her off. May be that is why I had Crashes in the Past ??? LOL.
Did you Piss off your Wife ??? That is if you are married
I am Sorry :'(

Daniel, sorry about your wife, she sounds like a real peach.
As for Brian's wife, that would be me. No I didn't put bleach in that tank. Rich is correct, I would never harm a living creature (other than a human maybe). I love that tank, those fish, and this club as much as he does. I have a good amount of $ as well as time invested in that tank as well as he does.

Too bad your wife isn't as supportive as I.

As for something coming in through the bilco doors, I don't think that's happened either. With the snow, Brian didn't even use the snow blower back there, near the doors.

What I don't understand is that I thought if there was a foreign substance that got in the tank, wouldn't the corals go first? It's 6am and all of the corals, clams still look good, snails are out, etc. Just no fish saying their usual "Good Morning"

Daniel

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Brian, Did you have any Sea Cucumbers? One of my system crashes came from a Sea Cucumber. I found this out the hard way. They leach poison when they die and threatened. I will keep thinking for you and may be we will come up with something.
Daniel

Daniel

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
debfife, No my wife is more than supportive and she gets maid at me when I kill a spider.
She just says that to bust my chops. I am glade to see you are supportive like my Wife.
She has never told me NO when I need or want something form my Tank.

sorry to hear that Brian that sucks !
maybe somthing leached in the tank through the skimmer air intake
it happend to me a couple of years ago, or maybe the food u fed was bad?
hang in there man & look at the bright side u wont have to feed as much for a bit so ur polip & colors should start to look good.
JM2C.

mikem

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Sorry for you're losse Brian and Deb. If there's anything I can do to help, let me know. A while ago I lost 6 fish including my helfrichi. I was stumped as to why I lost 6 fish in one day. I sent 2 of the fish along with some of my water with a friend of mine that works at Sandy Hook Marine Biology. Water checked out fine. They found some of the ingredients fron Joes Juice in the fishes. I did notice the helfrichi take a bite on the rock with the juice on it, but thought nothing of it. Needless to say, If I ever get another aptasia on a rock, the whole rock goes in the trash. Something to think about.
Mike