• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Tank birthday and I'm a Geezer

Paul B

NJRC Member
The parts alone are almost $2,000.00 so probably not right now. :p It isn't worth what I would have to charge for it. The central part of the thing is an antique and apparently pretty rare, but someone, thankfully gave it to me.

I have about 12 different lamps left and they are all hopefully going in a show in a gallery out here on Eastern Long Island. It was cancelled for Covid like everything else. I sold 12 of them in a gallery in Manhattan.
Building these is one of my other hobbies. :cool:

This one here which is my favorite, shown almost finished is still in a gallery. I am building a similar one now.

Paul B

NJRC Member
Beautiful day here in Long Island today so I collected 40 gallons of water behind my house.
The alk was 7 and the temp was 40. I didn't test calcium but the salinity is 1.016.
It is crystal clear so I don't have to do anything to it except warm it up and maybe add some salt.

Collecting.jpg
Water.jpg

Paul B

NJRC Member
I am sitting in my workshop/Man cave waiting for my collected water to heat up and I notice the salinity is way to low. I threw in some salt but I don't have enough. Of course I also tested the water in my reef and that is also way to low. :unsure:

I can probably keep kissing gouramies and catfish in there but I don't want to keep those fish so I am going to go to a local Petco to see if they carry salt. I have never been in there so while I am there, maybe I can pick up a moorish Idol or Achilles tang :rolleyes:

To heat my water quickly I fill a 5 gallon water cooler bottle and fill it with hot tap water to float in there. In 15 minutes or so, the water is the right temperature.

Paul B

NJRC Member
Very busy today.; I am cutting out large pieces of encrusting sponges to eliminate. Much of my reef is blue sponge which looks nice but it takes up most of the real estate. I found 2 big bottles that I totally forgot about because they were fully taken over and covered. I opened up quite a few passages through the rock but I will never eliminate it or even a quarter of it as it is an ongoing job but I never removed this much.

I have my diatom filter running because it is making so much clouds that I can't see what I am doing. I also have to wear 2 pairs of gloves or else my fireclown will take my hand off. :confused:

Paul B

NJRC Member
Yesterday I was talking to someone from my old neighborhood. Not my last neighborhood, the neighborhood I grew up in in Queens New York.

I grew up in the 50s and during the 50s and 60s Humans spawned some very weird people. Some Geezers here may remember "Woodstock" (google it) I lived through that in 69 but luckily I was in the Army then.

Anyway as I was growing up we had this guy who was weirder than most. We had Beatniks and Heads but Charlie was the epitome of weird. Wait, that is his real name, to protect his identity I will call him Tommy.

Tommy spent virtually all of his time leaning against a mail box on the corner a block from where I lived. He wore purple, felt looking corduroys and a leather jacket. I mean I knew the guy for 10 years and that was "all" he ever wore and I am sure it was the same outfit as I am pretty sure Tommy didn't own a washing machine.

He had long hair before it was in style and I am sure it just was because he didn't want to pay to get it cut, besides he had no money or job so his "job" was asking anyone who walked by for a cigarette or a quarter.

I sometimes would have a "conversation" with Tommy and I remember one very well as Tommy was very "smart".
He once said to me (when I was about 8) "Do you know how they make the Atom Bomb?"

I always wanted to know that so I said, "No" How do they make the Atom Bomb?

Tommy got real serious and said the Atom bomb has three parts. He spoke like this:

First there is the Fuuuussse. Then there is the exploooding part. Then there is the match that lights the fuuuuse.

That was one of the longest "conversations" I ever had with Tommy.

In his spare time he would sniff glue. Sniffing glue was a favorite past time for many people then who are all dead now. People like Tommy sniffed glue because he couldn't afford the 22 cents for "Ripple" wine that more secure deadheads drank to get high.

Glue was ten cents and it will get you high. Not the healthiest thing to do and although I like the smell of glue, I wouldn't purposely put it in a bag and stick my nose in it.

Eventually they put something in glue so you couldn't sniff it so people like Tommy starting to sniff "Carbona cleaning fluid". Don't do that because like all those people. it "will" kill you.

Eventually Tommy disappeared and I found out what he did for a living. He stole a TV from his next door neighbor, and sold it to his other next door neighbor and those two neighbors were friends. :confused:

Tommy's story may make many people think I am making that up and that people like that didn't exist. But you would be wrong because there were lot of Tommy's then.

(This is a true story and if you are related to Tommy or if anything about this is derogatory, racist or anything else. please delete it as me or Tommy won't care. )

Yesterday I was talking to someone from my old neighborhood. Not my last neighborhood, the neighborhood I grew up in in Queens New York.

I grew up in the 50s and during the 50s and 60s Humans spawned some very weird people. Some Geezers here may remember "Woodstock" (google it) I lived through that in 69 but luckily I was in the Army then.

Anyway as I was growing up we had this guy who was weirder than most. We had Beatniks and Heads but Charlie was the epitome of weird. Wait, that is his real name, to protect his identity I will call him Tommy.

Tommy spent virtually all of his time leaning against a mail box on the corner a block from where I lived. He wore purple, felt looking corduroys and a leather jacket. I mean I knew the guy for 10 years and that was "all" he ever wore and I am sure it was the same outfit as I am pretty sure Tommy didn't own a washing machine.

He had long hair before it was in style and I am sure it just was because he didn't want to pay to get it cut, besides he had no money or job so his "job" was asking anyone who walked by for a cigarette or a quarter.

I sometimes would have a "conversation" with Tommy and I remember one very well as Tommy was very "smart".
He once said to me (when I was about 8) "Do you know how they make the Atom Bomb?"

I always wanted to know that so I said, "No" How do they make the Atom Bomb?

Tommy got real serious and said the Atom bomb has three parts. He spoke like this:

First there is the Fuuuussse. Then there is the exploooding part. Then there is the match that lights the fuuuuse.

That was one of the longest "conversations" I ever had with Tommy.

In his spare time he would sniff glue. Sniffing glue was a favorite past time for many people then who are all dead now. People like Tommy sniffed glue because he couldn't afford the 22 cents for "Ripple" wine that more secure deadheads drank to get high.

Glue was ten cents and it will get you high. Not the healthiest thing to do and although I like the smell of glue, I wouldn't purposely put it in a bag and stick my nose in it.

Eventually they put something in glue so you couldn't sniff it so people like Tommy starting to sniff "Carbona cleaning fluid". Don't do that because like all those people. it "will" kill you.

Eventually Tommy disappeared and I found out what he did for a living. He stole a TV from his next door neighbor, and sold it to his other next door neighbor and those two neighbors were friends. :confused:

Tommy's story may make many people think I am making that up and that people like that didn't exist. But you would be wrong because there were lot of Tommy's then.

(This is a true story and if you are related to Tommy or if anything about this is derogatory, racist or anything else. please delete it as me or Tommy won't care. )
theres still a lot of tommys around lol

Paul B

NJRC Member
My good deed last week was rewarded. Last week as a van in front of me was pulling away and I noticed a wad of hundred dollar bills on his back bumper with a phone. I banged on the side of the truck and gave it to the driver who was very appreciative.

Yesterday my wife and I was in a diner for breakfast. As we left and got in my car, the busboy came running out of the place yelling for us to stop.

He handed me some bills. My wife left her money on the table because I asked her for change of a five. There was over a hundred dollars there.

Good deeds get rewarded. :)

Paul B

NJRC Member
I took a nice walk this morning (in the rain) and I can't wait for the day I can put my winter coat away. I live about 90 yards from the sea and in the early morning it is cold and damp.
Sunrise.jpg

Due to the dampness, there are earthworms all over the streets. Of course I picked up a couple and threw them in my tank. The fish came right over to inspect, especially my copperband but the worm was to big for him to eat and copperbands don't really have teeth like Great White sharks so he didn't eat it. But the anemones really enjoy earthworms.

I am very happy about the health of my tank and each fish kind of "exudes" health. Every scale shines and healthy fish usually have iridescent tinges of color that you don't often see on many captive fish and we often forget that healthy fish are supposed to exhibit that tinge.
Gobi.JPG

(This little 1" gobi and his friend has been with me for a few years now)

These 6 lines you can never get a good picture of as they never slow down and spend a lot of time spawning or looking for each other.
That green patch on his tail glows in the light as does the iridescent blue on his pectoral fins.

6 Line.JPG

Even my corals are very colorful and I don't have the kind of corals that are supposed to be very colorful. There are small places on almost all my (SPS) corals that have small tufts of algae growing out from them but this is completely normal and it is on all corals in the sea. You don't see it there because of the tangs. It is from the tiny tube worms that sprout from small patches and algae grows on the sides of their stems. (I don't photoshop because I really don't know how to :confused:)

Pink coral.JPG

I realize I don't have any of those really brilliant colored corals that so many people successfully keep here. I used to have montipora all over the tank but almost all of it was covered in sponge and very little remains.
coral.JPG

hammer (2).JPG

This guy doesn't know he is supposed to eat algae and never has.
Hoppo.JPG

I have not bought any corals in this house and got them all as tiny frags way before I can remember so I have no idea how old any of them are. Most probably came as very tiny pieces that accidentally got with the fish as I don't remember ever buying a coral. (but I am old and don't remember much. Where am I) :unsure: That Hammer is about 8" wide and I fragged it 4 times. For some reason it will only grow on the left side of my tank and slowly dies on the right side. This is interesting and I wish I knew why as it is only one aspect of reefing that we don't understand. My 3 lights are the same and the only difference is that the right side of the tank has a huge powerhead which provides most of the circulation. I don't get it but my SPS all grow better on the right side of the tank.

Gorgonians grow like weeds and will probably grow in my sock drawer.

DYIguy

NJRC Member
Paul, I don't have the time to read the entire thread but I do think I read that you have a mated pair of Rainford Gobies in your tank- are they a breeding pair? I have just one now- picks at pods all day. I'd like to add another (40B ) with hopes that they hook up at least- any recommendations thanks

Paul B

NJRC Member
Hi DIYguy. I do have a pair of them but you can't tell which is which. At least I can't. As you probably know they kind of graze all day on the mulm and algae in the back of the tank. Mine also eat live whiteworms. They paired up on their own with no help from me.
They hide out in the back, side of my tank and made a hole or cave just behind my UG filter tube. They disappear in there and may be even getting under the UG filter but I can't tell

DYIguy

NJRC Member
Hi DIYguy. I do have a pair of them but you can't tell which is which. At least I can't. As you probably know they kind of graze all day on the mulm and algae in the back of the tank. Mine also eat live whiteworms. They paired up on their own with no help from me.
They hide out in the back, side of my tank and made a hole or cave just behind my UG filter tube. They disappear in there and may be even getting under the UG filter but I can't tell

Wow! how long have you had them- I'm a romantic I guess- I like to see my fish get along- I know some can't get along with their own kind, but the ones that can only be the only one in a tank still have 'friends'- my striped blenny for one- the boss, but swims with everyone- I'm currently trying to hook up 2 watchman gobies ( decided against a pistol for a number of reasons ). After the gobies I'll try to add a pink damsel- the 2 chromis don't want to be friends lol

Paul B

NJRC Member
Hi DIYguy, my Watchmans are also spawning. Here they are with their eggs.

I have always had a pair of Watchmans and they always spawned. They live about 10 years and in my tank anyway also live with a spawning pair of pistol shrimp.

I can tell the differences in shrimp but the Watchmans always seem to pair up and I assume, when they are young they can change sex like many fish can.
Maybe the Rainsfords can to. I don't know. I also can't remember how long I have had my Rainsford gobies but it's over a few years. I know I had one for a year or two before I got another, smaller, younger one.

All of my paired fish are spawning except my little Citron gobies for some reason.

DYIguy

NJRC Member
Hi DIYguy, my Watchmans are also spawning. Here they are with their eggs.

I have always had a pair of Watchmans and they always spawned. They live about 10 years and in my tank anyway also live with a spawning pair of pistol shrimp.

I can tell the differences in shrimp but the Watchmans always seem to pair up and I assume, when they are young they can change sex like many fish can.
Maybe the Rainsfords can to. I don't know. I also can't remember how long I have had my Rainsford gobies but it's over a few years. I know I had one for a year or two before I got another, smaller, younger one.

All of my paired fish are spawning except my little Citron gobies for some reason.
Wow, incredible! The one watchman is certainly persistent, spend all day 'watching over' the new one- hopefully they'll pair up.. I haven't been able to get another rainford yet my LFS gets them but none at present. I'd rather add one sooner than later. I've no luck with citron gobies. Chris

Paul B

NJRC Member
I have always had yellow clown gobies and they always spawn. A little to much because they lay their eggs on acropora SPS and kill it. I lost most of my acropora from them spawning.

They spawn about every 10 days. You can see her eggs over her here.

DYIguy

NJRC Member
I have always had yellow clown gobies and they always spawn. A little to much because they lay their eggs on acropora SPS and kill it. I lost most of my acropora from them spawning.

They spawn about every 10 days. You can see her eggs over her here.

You have citron and yellow clowns- I tried citron and green, neither survived ( but I did buy them online) Are any 'easier'