• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

The New Tank Has Started!

good point. I have a little tank I can setup for this or then can just float it in my 55. I like your plan. We will start with before and see how that works out.

malulu

NJRC Member
so you are about few mins away from "pets pets pets..."
i live around that area for about 10 yrs, recently moved to GreenBrook.

I am off the same street. That place IS HORRIBLE! All the animals are sick. A bunch of punks working there that don't know anything.

jazzsman

Looking good!

Nice work on the stand.

I can't make the March meeting or I'd lend a hand, hope the move goes well!

Ok, the stand has prgresed to a near finish:

Without any color:
HPIM0036.jpg

Wish some stain and poly:
HPIM0037.jpg

Now all I have to do is put the foam on there and then the tank is next! This Saturday is the big day! If anyone at the meeting wonders who I am I will be the guy with the BIG smile!

Ok, I have not updated in a while because I was out of town until now but I figured I should post a picture of the hard work that fellow reefers did on lifting the tank up!

HPIM0038.jpg

Tomorrow I get to start cleaning the Sump and starting on the plumbing. I am going to take that slow and plan and post a lot of pictures to make sure I get this right!

Ok so the plumbing is done and I did my first fresh water test..........

Lessons Learned:

1. DO NOT OVER-TIGHTEN BULKHEADS! I did that and it cracked so when I started the water I saw a nice stream of water going all over the place!

2. DO NOT RUSH: I built my sump from a 135 gallon and got glass cut. The problem is that when I used the silacone I bumped into the wall that holds the fuge from the return. When I did this It was still wet and I should have re-glued it BUT i figured...... It would be just fine. Well, it wasn't. So I drained the sump and re-silaconed it and fixed the broken bulkhead. Now I have to wait 48 MORE hours to finish my fresh water test!

On the UPSIDE, everything else looks great. I did not see any other leaks or issues (yet). I am hoping it will stay that way but I won't know for at least 48 hours.

Thank you again for the help with the tank.

I'll learn from your mistake and make sure I don't over tighten the bulkheads :)

Just finished the primer coat on my stand and I'm now filling up the tank for a water test while I watch Rutgers go for the NCAA Womens National Championship.

The sumps not in place and obviously it's not plumbed yet, but so far the seams all seem to be fine. I already water tested the sump and had no outside leakes on that, so as soon as I finish the paint on the stand and get it plumbed I should be ready to start cycling.

I want to come over and check out your tank once it is up and running. Your sump looked amazing and I would love to see it in action.

mikem

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Theres a rule of thumb about tightening plumbing fixtures. Tighten it hand tight, then wrench tight 1/4 turn more.

You're more then welcome to come over. I'm hoping to have it plumbed and ready to add rock and sand by Saturday. I still have to run two 20 amp circuts over to the tank area, but that should take me less then 15 minutes. The breaker box is less then 20 ft from the tank.

I'm going to have Mike come over and plumb my tank for me. After seeing him do the work at Merv's I'm convinced there isn't much he can't do :)