• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

The New Tank Has Started!

Wow, you are definatly moving at a good rate then!

Now, I know the plumber rule. 1/4 a turn after hand-tight. "You live, you learn."

PICTURES!

Ok, so I had to build my own overflow kit becuase of the custom tank. I know the pictures is hard to see but I forgot to take pictures before I put everything together.

HPIM0040.jpg

Now it is time for the sump fun. This is the right side of the sump. The egg crate is not where it should be because I was working on things but you should get the idea.

HPIM0041.jpg

Once again the egg crate is not in the right position but this is the left side of the sump.

HPIM0042.jpg

This is my "fish room". I have taken over the pantry for this. It is good that I live by myself or I am sure I would catch hell from someone else!

HPIM0043.jpg

Here is the tank actually holding water! WAHOO! Minus the problems listed above you can see that I am VERY happy about reaching this stage!

HPIM0039.jpg

Very nice Sam. That's going to be a really nice set up. If you need any help let me know. I work practicaly right around the corner so it's reall easy for me to shoot over there even during the week.

Mike, I was just kidding, but I know you would be here if I asked. Thank you. I think this tank will be fairly easy to plumb. *crosses fingers* :)

MORE LESSONS LEARNED!

The glass from Lowes is NOT STRONG ENOUGH! The baffles are holding just fine but the peice I have seperating the fuge from the return section shattered with the water preasure. It is really holding back a lot of water so I guess I should have expected it. Tomorrow I will be getting a thick peice from a REAL glass store and I am sure that will hold. 1/4" thick should do the trick! It is a lot of water. The peice of glass is 17"/20" and the fuge section probably can hold at least 50-60 gallons i would guess.

malulu

NJRC Member
Sam,

the glass shattered may be due to too much pressure "on one side", may be you should put water to both side at tha same time...? if you have too much water on one side, even the new glass will be fine, your glue/silicon may failed before the water go all the way up...

Yea, that is what I did because I antisipated that. I got the new peice of glass today and it seems like it will really hold up. The glass from Lowes is probably on 1/16th thick and that will shatter really easy. Right when I put the water in I could actually see the glass bending due to the pressure.

So tomorrow will be my NEXT fresh water test. Lets hope that goes over well.

Time for a new update. It took a while with a few mistakes but I finally have salt water in the tank and some sand. I did not plan well when it came to my pumps becuase I am still an amature with all of this.

Here is an updated picture:

HPIM0046.jpg

I still have on order: more sand, better heater, AC JR, New Pump for Skimmer.

Once I get all of that in there I will try to add some fish and see how it goes.

Filling the tank and sump with RO/DI water took FOREVER!

Cool Sam, moving along nicely!!

Got my salinity up to 1.24, all my rock and sand is in (well, I may add a little more rock, but I need one 22-24 inch long shelf piece which my take some looking to find) Still messing with my heaters to get the temp up. I'm at 75 degrees right now. Just took my first ammonia test. Woohoo, reading about .4 :) Yup, I'm happy cause that means the cycles started. Going to be awhile before I add any fish or corals, but it's getting there. Time to add one more electrical circut and work on my lighting. I'd post some pictures but my wife's cheap digital doesn't take nice pics.

malulu

NJRC Member
Sam,
looks good... "Filling the tank and sump with RO/DI water took FOREVER!" that is why i use extra container to store r/o water...
;-)

Jack,
bad pictures is better than no picture...
;D

Sam
nice job on your stand and setup. I'm finally done with the stand. thanks for all your with my tank and stand .

Peter

Ok, I figured it was time for an update. I gave a lot of people an update in person at the meeting but here goes.........

The tank has REAL salt water in it and REAL live sand. (that was no fun) I also got the heaters going (1 500Watt connected to a controller and a second one on order to connect to the Ac JR)

As some of you know there is ONE fish in there and he did it to himself! He was in my other reef tank and started eating corals when he never has before! I know it was WAY to early to add him but he was really getting on my nerves! He has been living in there happily for about 2 weeks. He eats and is even less scared now.

I just hooked up the AC Jr today and I will get my new powerheads soon to hook to it. I got the PH monitor but I don't think it is working right just yet.

HPIM0047.jpg

Ah....... the tale of the skimmer. I really like the service of MRC when Andy is working but when he is on vacation the whole company takes a dive. In the end I am happy.

HPIM0048.jpg

Updated PICS of the sump with the skimmer actually hooked up.

HPIM0049.jpg

Updated PICS of the fuge with sand in it. This is just the beginning.

HPIM0050.jpg

I WILL be adding rock but I am going to be very selective. I am going to take my time on this part becuase I want it to look as good as others I have seen.

Re: The New Tank Has Started! - LIGHTS

Ok, so the next step is going! 1/2 the lights are here and hooked up! The Solaris really are not as bright as I would have expected and they are a bit more blue than I would like BUT guess what........ I CAN CHANGE IT HOW I WANT! See below!

HPIM0059.jpg

The rock work will most likly happen tonight! Things are really looking up!