• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Jose7878 new 150 gal

I'm new to this forum. Just a little background of myself. I started fish keeping about 10 yrs ago
I started with freshwater just like alot of people did. Well one day caught myself watching
Finding Nemo. As soon as the movie was over told my GF which now is my Wife that I wanted
To do a saltwater tank. So off to Ocean Aquarium I went to convert my 55 gal over to a SW
Tank. I was sold a bunch of stuff , since I didn't know any better I bought them.
Years went by learned alot of stuff upgrade alot of my equipment and then upgrade to a 90 gal.
Now I just upgraded to a 150 gal. Hopefully with the years of experience I will have much
Success with this tank as I did with my 90 gal.
Thanx for looking guys and gals.
photo-58.jpg

Sunny

NJRC Member
Article Contributor
Welcome to the club! Your tank looks nice. Would love to see more pics.

Happy Reefing!

Sunny

Here are some pics of my build . Feel free to ask questions
I built the stand and canopy myself
Here's the stand and canopy before staining
photo-23.jpg

photo-22.jpg

Here's the stand and canopy with fish tank in place ready yo go in place
photo-26.jpg

My rock work was done by using a milk crate. I had to do a little adjusting to it to fit my tank
photo-38.jpg

Here you see how I attached my LR to it just used some zip ties.
Picture010.jpg

For a sump I was using a 55 gal but once I placed it under the stand it was uncomfortable to work. So I took my grinder and glass cutting blade and cut the glass to 16" in height then siliconed the frame back on.
photo-41.jpg

photo-43.jpg

And now perfect fit
photo-46.jpg

Here's are pics of how I did my rockwork
I used 2 milk crates to do the base. I a little cut and snip yo fit my tank.
photo-37.jpg

Attaching LR to the rack I used zip ties
Picture009.jpg

I did that to the two crates then I just place the rest of the rock right on top until I was satisfied with it.

TanksNStuff

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Welcome to the club Jose. It seems we have a very resourceful DIY guy added to our ranks! Really love the milk crate rock work idea. And it takes some skill to cut a tank down like that.

Looking forward to tagging along on this one for sure.

Thanx for giving me heads up about NJRC. Never knew so many people in the area were SW tank owners.

no problem, there's actually a decent amount of south jersey guys on here even though it seems like most are central. the next meeting is actually being held down by you in swedesboro.

mnat

Officer Emeritus
Staff member
Welcome to the club and great documentation of setting the tank up. It looks great.

curt

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
NJRC Member
Welcome! I see we have another woodworker. Stand and hood look great as does the tank. What kind of lights are you running under the hood.

Welcome! I see we have another woodworker. Stand and hood look great as does the tank. What kind of lights are you running under the hood.
I'm running two blueline MH ballast with 12k reeflux bulbs. "as u can see in the pic one of my lights is blue and the other is white" spoke to the sales guy who I bought them from about that. He turned and called the distributor told him to tell me to burn them for 100hrs if they don't change to the correct color they will swap them.

I also run on a icecap 660 ballast four 24" aqua plus T5's

Very nice stand and canopy. I've been hooked on ReefLux 12K for years now ran mine inCoralVue ballasts and the look was awesome!

It's cool to see so many 150DTs emerging right now!